What do you do with an old TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Todd Stout, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Okay... the 18 year old hand me down 45" Mitsubishi RPTV that I have been watching for several years finally died on me last week. I am about to buy a new HDTV monitor but it occurred to me that I have no idea what to do with the old TV. What do you guys do with your old, dead RPTVs?

My dad suggested taking it to the local hazardous materials disposal site but it seems such a shame to trash what is really a nice looking piece of furniture. A friend of mine told me of people gutting them and putting aquariums inside but I have never seen such a thing. Should I try putting it in the local Recycler and giving it away or should I just drop the thing off at the hazardous materials collection center?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

One or the other. Just don't take it to the public dump.

3. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    It's hard to believe RPTV has been around that long. I still think of it as "new" technology. I'm getting old.....

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Maybe a friend wants to try and fix it? Give it to him and let it become his headache if he can't fix it. Otherwise just dump it wherever you can.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"It's hard to believe RPTV has been around that long. I still think of it as "new" technology"

What? you don't remember the olden days when the projector sat under the screen and fired towards the seating areaand was reflected back onto the screen?? Kind of a strange front projection/back projection thing.

Brent

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Absolutely not. Televisions and computer monitors contain toxic materials. They must be disposed of at a site designed to deal with such waste.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

which is why I stated dump it "wherever you can."

8. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I may just have to dump it off at the city's hazardous disposal site. I may wait a bit see if anyone wants it but I doubt it. It's a shame considering it's in a nice large oak cabinet.

This is a 1986 vintage rear projection model. I believe RPTVs were first introduced in the early 1980's. Those old style models with the fold down mirror in the front are even older than that. The junior high school that I went to from 1982-84 had one which they used to show us movies on the Betamax on rainy days.

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

My uncle had a 12 inch Black & White RPTV from the late 40's, so RPTV's have been around for years.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Woops!