what do you do where your dog pees on your lawn?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

there's a bunch of dog people here, so why not.
    I have a tiny yard, 15x10 or so, and the dog's pee kills grass in like a 1 foot radios (she has some sort of radioactive pee)
    on such a small yard it's becomming a problem, I've tried watering it right away, that didn't help, I can't force her to drink more water, she doesn't know the drink command.
    I could train her to pee on the rocks, that's a possibility.
    I found this stuff at petsmart called lawn saver, it's some type of suppliment to help with this, I bought some and it seems to work, but I worry about how safe it is for the pupster. They're liver flavored and I have heard no complaints as she scarfs them down so far.
    Anyone have experience with that stuff? I could post the ingredients later.. it mostly looks like a vitamin suppliment.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I think adding tomato juice to her diet will help as well if I remember right.

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

We also have a small back yard that cannot support our two dogs. I have been giving them Lawn Guard from Foster & Smith and it seems to reduce the damage somewhat but not altogether. Right now I have the entire backyard fenced off as I'm reseeding from the damage they did over the winter!

Your best bet is to simply saturate the area with water if you know where the dog is peeing. Luckily one of our dogs has been peeing on the pavement...there is good and bad to that.

4. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I don't have a dog but I do pee on the lawn regularly, hasn't been a problem as far as I can tell.
    Well, lawn would be a grandiose term, it's really just Texas as you find her.
    Maybe I should aim for some of the cactus.

6. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

I have the same problem, not like the Texan, but with my three dogs leaving brown spots all over. Someone told me too much nitrogen in their pee plus the nitrogen in fertlizer has an effect. I don't know. Keep the advice coming. Never thought i would find the answer on HTF. Now i can tell my wife i'm not just wasting my time here.

Scott

7. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

Strange, our neighbour's dog uses our lawn quite often and the he uses grow even more.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Never know. There are plenty of animal lovers floating about so why not.

I've read the same about nitro, but no one seems to know why that works. maybe I'll try it, they sell a spray at petsmart that is supposed to green it up, I wonder if it works.
    Thus far the "go on the rocks!" command has been unsuccessful.

9. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I just did a Veterinary database search and no one seems to have a sure fix for this. Seems to be related to the nitrogen in the urine, but food additives and tomato juice have the potential to cause urinary damage in some dogs.

Lots of water seems to be the best fix, both on the lawn and in the dog. As they say when cleaning out a nasty wound "Dilution is the solution to polution".

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I can't make her drink more [​IMG]
    I water the lawn 3 times a day for one minute for just that reason, it's been too soon to tell if it's helped, thanks for checking!
    Too bad you're not local, I need a new vet.

Pee on the rocks isn't working AT ALL. She's too timid to do anything but squat and pee right where she is [​IMG]
    I want a new dog [​IMG] can I trade her in on a 2004 model?

11. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Philip, I lived in Denver for a couple of years, back in the 80s. I rented a house, and silly me, since I had never lived in the desert before, I didn't know you had to water EVERYTHING out there. [​IMG] It usually rains a LOT here in Georgia; we get late afternoon thunderstorms and showers almost every day during the summer. Well, the neighbors had to tell me to start watering the trees, grass, shrubs, before they all croaked.

I was most amazed when it snowed in Denver in May.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

hehe, it snowed a lot in may this year.

13. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I have this problem as well. At night, when I'm home, I will follow my dogs out into the yard (its pretty small) and spray water right where they pee. This helps but of course they are there all day. I recently tried getting a few pieces of sod from Home Depot and cutting the areas out, spreading a little new topsoil and cutting the new sod to fix it. That had about a 50% sucess rate, I think the sod was borderline too dry when I got it and the digs pee in some of the same areas.

14. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I have this problem as well. At night, when I'm home, I will follow my dogs out into the yard (its pretty small) and spray water right where they pee. This helps but of course they are there all day. I recently tried getting a few pieces of sod from Home Depot and cutting the areas out, spreading a little new topsoil and cutting the new sod to fix it. That had about a 50% sucess rate, I think the sod was borderline too dry when I got it and the digs pee in some of the same areas.

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Definitely take care of your dogs health first. After that, it wouldn't hurt to put a very light sprinkle of some compost and mulch. If there is a very safe way to reduce the acidity of your lawn where the dog pees, maybe try that. Don't put anything poisoness where your dog pees! Watering the area after they pee would only work if you did it instantly and continued to thoroughly wash away ALL of the pee.

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Definitely take care of your dogs health first. After that, it wouldn't hurt to put a very light sprinkle of some compost and mulch. If there is a very safe way to reduce the acidity of your lawn where the dog pees, maybe try that. Don't put anything poisoness where your dog pees! Watering the area after they pee would only work if you did it instantly and continued to thoroughly wash away ALL of the pee.

17. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

It's the female dogs... I have a male and female same breed.... she kills the grass he does not. I now have a 15X30 kennel and trained both to do the buisness there.

Not to go off topic too much but what do other members use in their dog kennels for ground cover to keep down the mud? I want to pour concreet but the wife does not like the idea. As for now I just spread 3-4" of sawdust. Works ok but is kinda messy, sticking to the dogs coats.

18. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

It's the female dogs... I have a male and female same breed.... she kills the grass he does not. I now have a 15X30 kennel and trained both to do the buisness there.

Not to go off topic too much but what do other members use in their dog kennels for ground cover to keep down the mud? I want to pour concreet but the wife does not like the idea. As for now I just spread 3-4" of sawdust. Works ok but is kinda messy, sticking to the dogs coats.

19. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Phil - I don't know, we have two dogs in Westminster and they are always killing the grass. Best bet is to try and train her to go on the rocks, might be doable with a female. Male dogs always urinate all over the yard, have to mark their territory more than females. We decided to stop fighting it, the grass grows back eventually.

There used to be stuff you could spray that had a scent in it like dog pee (we can't smell it but they can.) You would spray it in the yard where you wanted them to go and almost always they will pee there to cover up the mystery dog's scent. After a few weeks (with praise thrown in) supposedly your dog would start peeing in that spot more often than not. I don't know, maybe ask about that at Petsmart?

Chris - In California we used to use Eucalyptus leaves as ticking/liner in our dog's pen. The smell and oils are a natural flea repellant and it helps elimate pet odors in the pen. If your kennel is exposed outside though, I don't know if it work as well (or if you have Eucalyptus trees growing around you anywhere, we had them growing wild in the backyard.)

If you have pet Koallas they will like it too [​IMG]

20. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Phil - I don't know, we have two dogs in Westminster and they are always killing the grass. Best bet is to try and train her to go on the rocks, might be doable with a female. Male dogs always urinate all over the yard, have to mark their territory more than females. We decided to stop fighting it, the grass grows back eventually.

There used to be stuff you could spray that had a scent in it like dog pee (we can't smell it but they can.) You would spray it in the yard where you wanted them to go and almost always they will pee there to cover up the mystery dog's scent. After a few weeks (with praise thrown in) supposedly your dog would start peeing in that spot more often than not. I don't know, maybe ask about that at Petsmart?

Chris - In California we used to use Eucalyptus leaves as ticking/liner in our dog's pen. The smell and oils are a natural flea repellant and it helps elimate pet odors in the pen. If your kennel is exposed outside though, I don't know if it work as well (or if you have Eucalyptus trees growing around you anywhere, we had them growing wild in the backyard.)

If you have pet Koallas they will like it too [​IMG]