What's new

What do you do when you send your pre/pro or receiver in for repair/upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Do you sit and look at your speakers in confusion? almost begging them to make that music you love so much?

For those sending in a pre, do you plug the cd player directly to the amp?

Or do you guys have spares?

Im thinking about upgrading my receiver, but i wont get it back for like 3 weeks...that is like not possible....does not compute...

Rich

Yogi

Screenwriter
Well you might have to go to your girlfriend's house to listen to her setup that you put together with different speakers on each channel:laugh: Just kidding.
Well I have never had to deal with something like this, but I would think it would be a good time to start auditioning new receivers/prepros in your system. If I were you I would just drop by Tweeter every week and try out a new receiver with my speakers and take notes on their strongpoints and weaknesses while I went along. Week one would be a 5803, week two would be a 49TXi and week three would be a Ref 50. By the end of three weeks I would have thoroughly auditioned all three knowing them inside out with respect to sound and features and then when my prepro comes back I would see how mine compared to them and either feel good or be miserable about it depending on the comparison.
This would make your week fly by in no time while you had fun with all three.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
hehe, i have another good one about my GF....

we had to go to jersey to meet up with my parents, and on the way back (she was dropping me off at the train station for me to go nyc and she was going back to baltimore for school), we saw a tweeter and stopped in...

so i made her listen to some bookshelves for her to see what she liked (we still havent bought the speakers yet)....

so we are listening, and she picked the bostons over the vienna acoustics and we started walking around...

i see a pair of mahlers playing (10k a pair) and i walk into the room and she follows...

and here is the conversation:

her: i like these
me: yes they are very good, and not even set up well...
her: whatever, i want a pair
me: they are about $10k...
her: so, get me them...
me: uhmmm, they are too big for your room, they wont sound nearly as good there, they will overwhelm you
her: just get them for me...
me: uhm, really can't do that, they are so big, the soundstage they would create would just cause so many reverberations that it would sound like noise...
her: just shut up and get me them...
me: well, it will give you a headache if they are in your room
her: well why didnt you just say so.
me: i was trying
her: its not that hard, just say it, duhhhhh
me: okay, it will give your weee little head a headache, the sound will be so overwhelming that when you stand with your side to them, they will overpower your head, and it will lay on your shoulder and hurt your neck.
her: really?
me: yes
her: oh i dont want them...
me: that is what i was trying to say, you should listen to me more often
her: feed me, im hungry

anyway, i dont have a tweeter in NYC and i can't see her during the week, next time i go to baltimore, i will take her for speakers...

but that was a great idea, i think i will ask the place where i brought the rotel, to auditoin the naim av2 and the a BAT multichannel amp....yeah, 15k of equipment, hehe, lets see if they will let me.

Rich

Yogi

Screenwriter
You should have asked her that if she transplanted an elephant heart into a human would it work? she would get that analogy, I am sure. To a cardialogist you always have to give heart analogies for them to understand.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
take the spare out...play doctor and try and pick out those organs without making the sound and lights go off...hope it comes back and doesn't have to go back again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks