What's new

What do you do when you discover a disc issue? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Pretty much no label will intervene for discs purchased through a third party, especially if used. It may not seem fair but it’s not specifically a Shout policy. It’s the same for Warner, Disney, etc. They only provide support for product purchased from authorized retailers. A lot of the studios will liquidate surplus product and when they do so, they sell it off for pennies on the dollar under the condition that the liquidator assumes any risk for defective product. Those liquidators in turn resell the product on eBay, to dollar stores and the like, and the studio isn’t going to replace something that they can’t confirm was purchased through authorized retailers and not a liquidator (or even a bootlegger).

Then throw into the equation that for box sets, they may be under contractual obligation not to sell individual titles from a set, and that they may not have surplus stock available for older titles.

In the specific case of the Larry Sanders Show, it looks like Shout’s edition has been out of print for nearly a decade. They no longer have a license to distribute the show. Sony has relicensed the show to Mill Creek, who put out an edition several years ago. Shout can’t replace something they no longer make, no longer have copies of, and no longer have the right to distribute.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Hey Neil, once in a while I do something “ sneaky”. I’m an Amazon Prime member , so I order a new copy and then take advantage of the return policy to return the defective for a refund. Since I buy most of my DVDs from Amazon , I don’t consider it to be unethical - just getting a replacement for a defective product!

Museum Pieces

Second Unit
Real Name
Skylar
Season 2 disc 2 of THE WIRE is bad in my set, but it's a complete series set that has actually increased in price over the years. All I can find for a season release for season 2 is DVD I need a replacement BD, and have had no response to my queries to SONY or HBO.

I have downloaded the affected episode from the Internet, but I want the quality I paid for. I suppose if the set ever goes on sale I might buy it again. Otherwise, I moan a lot about it, and watch the Internet download.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
The error correction built into the redbook format CD and CD players is rather robust - even if a CD-R has a minor error or bit of degradation, it’s much more likely to play properly than a DVD-R with similar issues.
Back in the 1980's, my high school friends and I recorded hundreds of hours of "pretend" radio shows on audio cassette, featuring music, ad-libbed skits, etc. Recently got the budget to really "dive in" and start digitizing them. Had transferred a few in the late 90's with a non-computer based stand alone Philips CD recorder. NONE of those CD-R's still play properly, so I'm having to dig out the original tapes again to transfer.

With the new transfers, I'm not bothering with burning to CDs. I'm using software to "clean up" the audio as much as possible, and backing backing them up twice on two external hard drives, in both WAV and MP3 formats (the latter in case my friends express interest in copies, I can put several on a thumb drive for them).

I've also had a few pressed "store bought" CDs, DVDs, and one Blu-ray fail over the years, yet I have some vinyl LPs from the 1960's and VHS tapes from as far back as the early 1980's which still play. I've determined "digital disc" formats aren't as reliable overall as they were originally advertised.

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
[...] Had transferred a few in the late 90's with a non-computer based stand alone Philips CD recorder. NONE of those CD-R's still play properly, so I'm having to dig out the original tapes again to transfer. [...]

Oh man! So sorry to hear. I'm glad you've kept the tapes. I'm interested to learn more about the "clean up" process.

The 1960's

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neal Rose
I've also had a few pressed "store bought" CDs, DVDs, and one Blu-ray fail over the years, yet I have some vinyl LPs from the 1960's and VHS tapes from as far back as the early 1980's which still play. I've determined "digital disc" formats aren't as reliable overall as they were originally advertised.
I guess I've been lucky. I've never had a single CD, DVD (including pressed and made-on-demand) or Blu-Ray disc fail. And yes it is amazing that many of my VHS tapes that are over 30 years old STILL play, though many have snapped, were crumpled or eaten by players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonrany
Recent bookmarks