What's new

What do you do when people talk in a movie? (1 Viewer)

Derek O

Auditioning
One of the most annoying things that can happen in a theater is a cell phone going off, especially now that they all have their different and "distinctive" 30 second ring. This of course is mainly a problem with silly teeny boppers (who by the way are so important, they all have to have cell phones so they can be contacted at all times).

My uncle said that one time he went to see one of the bigger movies (it was a big deal because he hardly goes) and some girl answered a call and started talking like two seats away. He leaned over and said "Excuse me! This conversation ends NOW."

David Ruiz

Second Unit
It's coming to a point, where I no longer, WANT to go to the theater, because I know I will just end up very angry and bitter at all of those horrible people, that cause these distractions on PURPOSE!

I can almost guarantee, that people take their cell-phones, and *TELL* their friends to call them DURING the movie, to distract everyone from watching it in peace!!!

I just can't stand all of these people anymore. My patience has grown thin, and I just can't take it.

I don't know if I ever posted my experience, when I went to go see "The Others" at the theater.

Anyway, my sister and I, went together to see it. When we got there, we were 20 minutes early, and we saw this gray-haired fat man talking LOUDLY on his cell phone. I was thinking, "it's ok, the movie hasn't started yet." but this continued even through the movie. He never hung up his cell phone. He was practically SHOUTING so that he could easily be heard through the entire movie. And just for stupid "football". He keep on screaming..."How are the Giants doing. What is the score now?" Uggh!!! I hate football, and I hate it even MORE now that this happened.

About 20 minutes into the movie, this black woman walked into the theater with 14 kids. I know for a fact, that they were not all her's, because, about 10 of them were white kids. I don't know where she got all the kids from, but I'm thinking that she picked them all up from the neighborhood.

Anyway, the kids ages ranged from 5 - 10 years of age, and they all were REALLY bored through the movie. So, of course, they started:

Jumping,

Running up and down the steps,

Screaming,

Shouting,

Fighting,

Crying,

Laughing,

Talking VERY loudly,

*AND* Kicking people's chairs!!!

Even the black woman kicked a white girl's chair, and the white girl, and the black woman got into an argument:

WG (White girl)

BW (Black Woman)

WG: HEY! Stop kicking my chair!

BW: What? Are you telling me what to do?

WG: All I said, was stop kicking my chair!

BW: Don't you DARE tell me what to do. I will kick your ass so hard, you won't know what day it is!

WG: Alright, I'm sorry.

BW: You'd better be, if you know what's good for you. You'd better watch your back, because I will beat your ass down.

Can you believe this conversation DURING the movie??? Uggh!!!

The kids were making noise through the ENTIRE film, all the way until the credits rolled, just as that fat man, was still talking on the phone about the "Giants" football game.

About 1 hour into the movie, these 4 teenage girls with their 4 teenage boyfriends got tired of the noise in the theater, and were no longer paying any attention to the movie. The teenage boyfriends, then started making "FART" noises with their mouths, and everyone in the audience started laughing, and giggling, and shouting, "GROSS...UGGH...DISGUSTING." All, my sister and I were doing, was "SSSSSSHHHHHHHH!! We can't hear the movie!".

Just then, the teenagers, got even LOUDER, and told us that they could do whatever they wanted, because they paid their own tickets, so they had all the rights to make as much noise as they wanted! They continued to make farting and burping noises throughout the entire movie (along with the kids, & the cell-phone man).

It was a truly HORRIFYING experience! As soon as the movie was over, we complained to the manager, and they gave us 2 free tickets to see it again, some other night, when there might not be so many people.

Every single word of my description, is the COMPLETE truth, and nothing has been exaggerated! That's why I *LOVE* home-theater, because I know for a fact, that will *NEVER* happen in my home. I don't allow anyone under 17 years old, inside my home-theater. I also make sure that no one brings in any food or drinks, so that they don't disturb ME, or anyone else watching the movie with me.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
As a person who has been reprimanded on two or three occasions for talking (two that I remember well (the Sixth Sense and the Green Mile), maybe another that I don't remember), I recommend saying something the first time someone says something that's too loud for your liking, and doing it politely. In the Sixth Sense, I shut up immediately and apologized afterward to the couple sitting in front of me. They were polite. I was polite. It ended very amicably.

If you would say, "Excuse me, but your talking is bothering me," to me, I would immediately say, "Oh. I'm sorry." and you wouldn't hear anything more from me. I always try to sit far away from other patrons and speak as softly as I can to whomever I'm seeing the film with.

Now, if you say something politely at the earliest opportunity, you will learn right then what kind of person you're dealing with. If they shut up, great! You've won. If they don't, they are obviously creeps with no respect for the social norms of society. At that point, you could either move to another part of the theater, harangue them some more, or go to the manager. It's a shame that there are people out there who would get into fights over their supposed right to talk in a theater, but they're out there.

But I would always recommend being polite at first. If someone said "Shut the fuck up, asshole," to me, I would very likely size them up and consider carrying on the discussion after the film. It's ruder to hurl expletives at someone you don't know, in my opinion, than it is to inadvertently aggravate someone that you may not even know has sat down behind you.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
some people have enough control over themsleves to know when there talking could be disrupting people.

There are very few thing more annoying than someone ignorant of there surroundings and what there actions are doing to the people around them.

While I agree that acting polite is the best way, the next step would be to go to the manager.

If the person starts to act beligerently toward you then I feel anyone is within there right to do whatever they feel is necessary in there mind to make themselves feel better.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I recently recounted my experience seeing Apocalypse Now Redux at the Eglinton in Toronto, where a genuine moron got out his phone and DIALLED during the opening montage, and talked all the way through until Willard breaks the mirror.

I was throwing popcorn at him the whole time. Didn't do a thing, other than prompt him to turn to his date and say, "That guy's throwing popcorn at me!"

I thought only grown-ups were allowed to see Apocalypse Now!

Steve Lockwood

Stunt Coordinator
I really hate, after staking out a good spot in a half-empty theater and for whatever reason, people come in and sit DIRECTLY behind (or in front) of you. I don't understand it! Why do people feel the need to sit as close as they can to other people, when the theater is mostly empty?

Same thing happens to me when I park my car in an empty parking lot. I park as far away from the front door as possible. I walk out to the parking lot and some god damn person is parked next to me.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
As a person who has been reprimanded on two or three occasions for talking (two that I remember well (the Sixth Sense and the Green Mile), maybe another that I don't remember), I recommend saying something the first time someone says something that's too loud for your liking, and doing it politely. In the Sixth Sense, I shut up immediately and apologized afterward to the couple sitting in front of me. They were polite. I was polite. It ended very amicably.
Why in the world were you talking DURING the movie anyway? Were you having a heat-attack, that you needed someone to take you to the emergency room immediately? I don't see, why you couldn't talk BEFORE or AFTER the movie was over. I can't stand even a single WHISPER during a movie!!! :angry:

Jodee

Screenwriter
Oh we had a dilly of an experience today at a showing of Monsoon Wedding.
We were sitting in the 3rd row, center, and an elderly couple was about 10 rows behind us. Half the movie is subtitled and the elderly man was READING all the subtitles! And he was reading them quite loudly, so we could hear him plain as day despite sitting so far away.
I kept turning around and looking at him and he did not notice. A few times I tried the loud "Shush" but still nothing. Finally I got so frustrated, I stood up, walked back to where they were sitting and said "Excuseme, could you please not talk so loud? We're trying to hear the movie."
He was like "Huh? Oh, ok." And he actually shut up for the rest of the movie which is great. We had been about to leave we were so frustrated.
If his wife had trouble reading the subtitles, I'm sorry but you can't go to a foreign film and read them all out loud in your regular speaking voice. At least try and whisper them or choose a different film.
Would you take a blind person to a movie and loudly describe all the action that is on the screen?
I am convinced that people have no consideration for others anymore. Older people, especially I think have no idea how rude they are being when they talk all the way through a film. I guess telling them directly what they are doing is the only way to make them aware.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Why in the world were you talking DURING the movie anyway? Were you having a heat-attack, that you needed someone to take you to the emergency room immediately?
Maybe he was explaining a plot point to his friend/date, or having it explained to him. It's perfectly plausible and acceptible for people to occasionally whisper something. It's when an entire conversation is going on, at an unnaceptable volume, with no regard for other people, that talking in a theater becomes a problem.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
I went with a friend to see High Fidelity. We sit towards the back. Lady behind us (I think she was in the very back row) gets a cell phone call about half-way through the movie. She takes it. Begins chatting, oblivious to the existence of anyone but herself. I turn around and say, "Put the phone away!" She says, "Shut the hell up!" and continues her conversation. My friend leaves to get the manager. In the meantime, lady finishes her phone call. My friend returns with manager, points him to stupid lady. The manager tells her that she needs to either turn off her cell phone or leave. The lady -- get this -- objects by saying "Well they--" referring to me and my friend "-- have been LAUGHING through the whole movie!!"

I still chuckle when I think about it. Our laughing at a comedy is this lady's defense for her blabbing on a cellphone for five minutes.

Some people!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I hate it when people talk in a movie. When people do, I turn it off or leave, and watch one of the old silent movies with Charlie Chaplin or Rudolph Valentino instead.
:)
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks