What's new

What do you do when people talk in a movie? (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I have to say that I really like John Spencer's suggestion. :D
I posted in another thread that during a screening of The Majestic three teenage girls sat right next to me and began to chatter and use cell phones and such.
When I began to boil (which is rare for me, as I do not convey "angry" well - more like "peeved"), I turned to them and said:
If you're going to talk through the whole movie, would you mind giving me back the seven bucks I paid to see it?
That didn't completely fix the situation, but I was able to pay enough attention to the movie afterwards.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
What's really irritating is when the people talking are in your own group. Me, being 17, have occasionally been to the theatre with a group of friends. What can you do when it is your own friends that are chatting out loud during the movie? This happened constantly during Monsters Inc. I tried telling them to be quiet, but they just got angry at me, like I wasn't the one who drove them there. What do you do in that situation?

Jodee

Screenwriter
I don't usually have too many problems with people talking, but my #1 pet peeve has got to be people KICKING the back of your chair. Ugh!

I want to tun around and ask them if they could possibly sit still for 2 hours.

Another pet peeve...

I really hate, after staking out a good spot in a half-empty theater and for whatever reason, people come in and sit DIRECTLY behind (or in front) of you. I don't understand it! Why do people feel the need to sit as close as they can to other people, when the theater is mostly empty?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
This is why I go to the theater during the week...nearly deserted. The only other people there are people like me.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Get up and leave to get soda, come back with a claw hammer, sit behind your tormentors and "explain" it to them.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I find that if you get a good grip with the skull and twist very fast and your best Van Damme yell, it will deal with the problem.

Personally, don't bother to do anything but get up and get the manager. Come back with a soda if you're concerned about repercussions.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
If I was going to give something away I would have.

I made sure nothing about the movie was given away in what I said.

But for others beniefit that don't realize the obviose.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I went to see Vanilla Sky and the audience was loud. I cant remember being at a movie that was such a bad experience. Some old guy fell asleep lots of people talking. My brother finally YELLED "Shut the fuck up!!"
No one made a peep during the rest of the movie. :D

Out of all the posts here I can't believe I haven't seen this one. I've done it several times and it's pretty effective as long as you are behind the person and a good shot. Those round chocolate Whoppers are great for tossing at the back of peoples heads. Just make sure you do it when the theater is dark enough so that if that happen to get brave and ask who did that, nobody can point you out. Most of the time, that's not a problem though. Most people will be glad you made them shut up. Those things hurt like hell if thrown overhanded too. (Caution: Don't do this is you can't keep a straight face when they turn around. Also, make sure the person with you can keep a straigt face. It also helps if you both look off to the right or left when they turn around as to indicate that someone else did it.) lol!
Going to the movies is like a box of chocolates, you never know when some ass munch like me is gonna smack you in the back of the head with a Whopper! :D That would make a good signature!
Craig

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I usually shout "I hear somebody talking in here!" which is followed quickly by my wife: "No, Paul, no! Don't violate your parole again!"
That usually shuts them up. If it doesn't, I go ahead and violate my parole. ;)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Damn it Bill, I wish I hadn't highlighted that spoiler square! Shit!!!!!!! Thats one hell of a spoiler! Fu*K!!!

And....

I usually shout "I hear somebody talking in here!" which is followed quickly by my wife: "No, Paul, no! Don't violate your parole again!"
I'm sorry, but that is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.... AWESOME - I'm gonna use that! Thanks.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Its not a spoiler I just put it there so there was no confusion (the guy was lying to the lady)I think I'll just deleate the hole dog gone thing.
jeez:rolleyes

TheoGB

Screenwriter
:confused: Bill, I don't see that as a problem and also I presume Paul was joking but forgot the smiley...
Frankly you can't spoil LOTR. I defy anyone to remain unspoiled for the next two years while the books lie all around them.
In point of fact, the epic nature of the story is what drives it, not any real twists.
And, this one's for Bill so don't moan to me if you read it and can't help yourself...Didn't he say Frodo dies? That's not even true - he sails away to the West, IIRC! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Albany is usually fairly courteous. However, when there's people talking, the "Fuck you, pal! Keep your mouth shut!" is the traditional response:)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
What do you do when people talk in a movie?
I say SHUT THE HELL UP! Then I get a blank stare and they shut up! :) Im quite imposing (6'7 and 315lbs.)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I was at a showing of Rat Race, and a family let their 3 or 4 year old(who apparently just learned to walk!) go up and down the stairs! and the kid kept MUMBLING JIBBERISH AS HE WAS DOING IT! Now, here's the kick, the mom just laughed and thought it was "CUTE!" and then the dad STARTED WALKING UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS WITH HIS KID! The whole time the kid is speaking in some unkown language! Maybe his parent taught him Moronics too! This went on for over an hour! I, as well as the whole audience, could not enjoy the movie...it was irratating. One person told the dad to please sit down...but he didn't. They should have a NO PERSONS UNDER 12 showing for EVERY movie that comes out. Every theater has to have a NO PERSONS UNDER 12 showing at least once a day! Kids are the most annoying....aarrrggg!:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks