What's new

What do you do if you have a DVD-A and SACD player (1 Viewer)

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
All of the receivers I've seen have just one 5.1 analog input. I have a DVD-A DVD player now but I'm considering adding an SACD/CD player. Do I just have to switch the cables or is there another way?

I just saw a picture of the Denon 5803 and it looks like it has 2 5.1 analog inputs. I really don't want to spend $4000+ to use both SACD and DVD-A.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Jo,
I am not sure if you are asking for a new receiver or various interconnection possibilities. I have the sony DA5ES receiver. This receiver has two 5.1 analog interconnects with assignable names and inputs. This is very nice. I believe the DA4 and the DA7 also have this.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, I guess I was looking at lower priced receivers. $800 was really the upper upper limit of what I was looking at. The DA3 would be in my price range but I've never been crazy about the sound from the sony receivers I have heard. Maybe a local shop will have some of the higher end ones that I could try out.

Scott, does that radio shack unit have the 5.1 inputs or just 2 channel inputs out to 5.1? I can't see the back but I'm guessing it's just 2 channel.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Joe,

The Radio Shack a/v switching device has three RCA-type connections, and switches between two devices. It is designed for standard left/right audio and composite video switching, but works very well for this application as well, at a cost of about $27. You need two of these units to switch the six analog signals of a 5.1 connection. I use one unit for the front left, center and right connections, and the second unit for the left/right surround and subwoofer connections.

A receiver with two separate 5.1 inputs would be the best solution, but I already have a quality receiver that happens to have only one set of 5.1 analog inputs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I too use two of the Radio Shack 15-1952 switch boxes, and they work great. I bought the two boxes about a year ago for $30. A receiver with two sets of multi-channel inputs would be ideal, but that is not a good enough reason for me to spend $600+ for a new receiver. I am still quite happy with my two-year-old Sony STR-V444ES, which has one set of 5.1-channel inputs.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The RS switchers work great on any Receiver. It's just all those cables that are the pain in the ass.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Thanks a lot, everybody, on this one!!!!
For it just so happens that I shall be faced with this same dilemma in the time to come, as I am looking forward to adding my new DVD A/V player with this very 5.1 output for this very purpose. And to go along with my 5.1 output of my Yamaha DDP-1 DD Processor (used for my AC-3 LD play), this shall come in quite nice handy, actually, in the time to come. I shall go on right ahead and add this to my intinerary immediately for this year's holiday upgrades as I am the new DVD A/V player itself. Thanks for the two tips, everybody!!!!!! :)
This is, doubtlessly, a load off of my mind!!! :)

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
sacd into the analog cd inputs on my rcvr for" direct" mode and to feed B&K 1260 multi-room for hi-res everywhere...
DVDa into the 5.1 input......

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
What about a Sony TA-P9000ES? Two 5.1 inputs, plus one each 5.1 and 2 channel bypass inputs. Available for less than $500.00 on line or at least it used to be.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Kevin,

The Sony pre-amp is certainly an option. However, at almost $500 it's too pricey to use only as a switching device, IMO. If you have separates and need a pre-amp anyway, though, it makes perfect sense. The Radio Shack a/v switchers at less than $30 is more cost effective for me.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

I understand everyone needs to determine what best fits their needs. I just saw the TA-P9000ES as being another solution to the issue raised in this thread.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Scott , I recognize this, but ALL SACD's have a 2 channel mix ,which ,in the opinion of many, is often better than the multi-channel version. And I wanted to point out that being able to spread SACD Throughout the house is VERY SWEEEEEEET! nOT TO mention the fact that my changer often has a mixture of 2 chasnnel only SACD's, multi-channel optioned SACD's, and normal redbook cd's.....
So, until I am DYING to listen to the multi-channel versions (probably soon) or an easier solution presents itself, I will do it this way......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks