What do you do if you have a DVD-A and SACD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jo_M, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

All of the receivers I've seen have just one 5.1 analog input. I have a DVD-A DVD player now but I'm considering adding an SACD/CD player. Do I just have to switch the cables or is there another way?

I just saw a picture of the Denon 5803 and it looks like it has 2 5.1 analog inputs. I really don't want to spend $4000+ to use both SACD and DVD-A.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Jo,
    I am not sure if you are asking for a new receiver or various interconnection possibilities. I have the sony DA5ES receiver. This receiver has two 5.1 analog interconnects with assignable names and inputs. This is very nice. I believe the DA4 and the DA7 also have this.

4. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Dan, I guess I was looking at lower priced receivers. $800 was really the upper upper limit of what I was looking at. The DA3 would be in my price range but I've never been crazy about the sound from the sony receivers I have heard. Maybe a local shop will have some of the higher end ones that I could try out.

Scott, does that radio shack unit have the 5.1 inputs or just 2 channel inputs out to 5.1? I can't see the back but I'm guessing it's just 2 channel.

5. Scott Merryfield

Joe,

The Radio Shack a/v switching device has three RCA-type connections, and switches between two devices. It is designed for standard left/right audio and composite video switching, but works very well for this application as well, at a cost of about $27. You need two of these units to switch the six analog signals of a 5.1 connection. I use one unit for the front left, center and right connections, and the second unit for the left/right surround and subwoofer connections.

A receiver with two separate 5.1 inputs would be the best solution, but I already have a quality receiver that happens to have only one set of 5.1 analog inputs.

6. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, I too use two of the Radio Shack 15-1952 switch boxes, and they work great. I bought the two boxes about a year ago for $30. A receiver with two sets of multi-channel inputs would be ideal, but that is not a good enough reason for me to spend $600+ for a new receiver. I am still quite happy with my two-year-old Sony STR-V444ES, which has one set of 5.1-channel inputs.

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The RS switchers work great on any Receiver. It's just all those cables that are the pain in the ass.

9. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Thanks a lot, everybody, on this one!!!!
    For it just so happens that I shall be faced with this same dilemma in the time to come, as I am looking forward to adding my new DVD A/V player with this very 5.1 output for this very purpose. And to go along with my 5.1 output of my Yamaha DDP-1 DD Processor (used for my AC-3 LD play), this shall come in quite nice handy, actually, in the time to come. I shall go on right ahead and add this to my intinerary immediately for this year's holiday upgrades as I am the new DVD A/V player itself. Thanks for the two tips, everybody!!!!!! [​IMG]
    This is, doubtlessly, a load off of my mind!!! [​IMG]

10. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

sacd into the analog cd inputs on my rcvr for" direct" mode and to feed B&K 1260 multi-room for hi-res everywhere...
    DVDa into the 5.1 input......

11. Scott Merryfield

Matt, that works if you only plan on listening to two-channel SACD, but will not support multi-channel SACD.

12. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

What about a Sony TA-P9000ES? Two 5.1 inputs, plus one each 5.1 and 2 channel bypass inputs. Available for less than $500.00 on line or at least it used to be.

13. Scott Merryfield

Kevin,

The Sony pre-amp is certainly an option. However, at almost $500 it's too pricey to use only as a switching device, IMO. If you have separates and need a pre-amp anyway, though, it makes perfect sense. The Radio Shack a/v switchers at less than $30 is more cost effective for me.

14. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

I understand everyone needs to determine what best fits their needs. I just saw the TA-P9000ES as being another solution to the issue raised in this thread.

15. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Scott , I recognize this, but ALL SACD's have a 2 channel mix ,which ,in the opinion of many, is often better than the multi-channel version. And I wanted to point out that being able to spread SACD Throughout the house is VERY SWEEEEEEET! nOT TO mention the fact that my changer often has a mixture of 2 chasnnel only SACD's, multi-channel optioned SACD's, and normal redbook cd's.....
    So, until I am DYING to listen to the multi-channel versions (probably soon) or an easier solution presents itself, I will do it this way......