What do you dislike about your receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sully, Jan 20, 2002.

1. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

This thread is meant to be sort of a counterpart to the thread about your favorite receiver features. Most receivers have a few cool features which you may really like, however, all receivers have at least one (mis)feature which will tend to drive you to drink. I think the drive you to drink factor (DYTDF) is more important to long term satisfaction with a given receiver than the cool little features which you love. Thus this thread.

So, I'll start this out. I have a Denon 4802, a really nice feature full receiver. However there are two things which drive me to drink (I'm on my third vodka tonic as I write this...). First, is the Aktis remote. To put it simply, it sucks. I'm getting to the age where I should be wearing bifocals but pride keeps me from getting them. The Aktis has horribly small fonts which make it very difficult for those of us with presbyopia to use. In addition it is just plain weird in its layout and response to user inputs. I've been through a lot of universal remotes (Cinema 7, Marantz RC2000, Pronto, not to mention the slew of "universal" remotes which come with A/V gear) and the Aktis is beyond a doubt the worst remote I have had to use. Thank god I still have my Pronto and just need to reprogram it for the new gear...

The other thing that really bothers me about this unit is that the "personal memory" feature does not remember what mode the DPLII decoding was in the last time a source was selected. For example, I listen to regular TV in DPLII Cinema mode, which works quite well. For monophonic or stereo programs the image stays where it ought to with none of the odd steering artifacts which decoding non Dolby Surround material would produce with the old Pro-Logic decoders. For music, I have become a firm convert to using DPLII Music mode. It provides a nice sense of depth and breadth to the image and generally sounds very good. The problem is that the receiver only remembers that you were last using DPLII and not what specific mode you were in. So if I was last using DPLII in cinema mode for TV, that is what comes up if I select CD. Correcting this requires a session with the Aktis, and of course, if I switch back to TV, the DPLII decoding is set to music mode. Argh!

I know that Denon has a set of extended RS-232/IR codes which solve these problems, but nobody in Pronto land has yet tried to generate them so I'll have to go through days of experimentation to get them, if it will respond to these codes through IR at all.

That's my driven to drink rant, let's hear yours.

2. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

Harman-Kardon AVR520:

Dislikes:

The Logic 7 (sounds horrible), so I don't use it.

The remote is wonderfully backlit (great when it's dark to watch movies), except some keys have the text written onto the surface of the remote, and so are not backlit. It's easy enough to remember what most of them are, though.

...and the main thing I dislike... the horrible price in Canada (close to double the US list, and sells for more than double the US street price).

Apart from the price, the other dislikes are "ignoreable".

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have a Sony DA50ES receiver (3+ years old). My main dislikes are (1) fixed, high (100+ Hz) LFE crossover, (2) no 5.1 analog inputs, and (3) horrible remote control.

I fixed #3 by purchasing a Marantz RC2000 MKii remote 3 years ago. The other two items will be fixed once I figure out which new receiver I want to upgrade to. I'm leaning towards the Denon 4802. I just wish it allowed for independent adjustment of the LFE crossover for each channel, instead of the same adjustment being applied to all channels.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I have a Denon 5800 and there aren't many things I don't like about it but I have to agree John that the Aktis isn't the greatest and could be much better. Having said that, I don't have a Pronto so having a multi-function remote with macros is nice.

The other thing I don't like, that isn't a huge problem, is that I have to send this humongous beast back east to get it upgraded. I guess its the price you pay for a hardware as well as software upgrade.

The lack of OSD for volume bugs the hell out of me too. I think its taken care of in the upgrade but we'll see.

And the last thing is a small quibble, when you set the receiver to turn off its display after a few seconds for watching in the dark it does turn off the fluorescent display but some of the LED's are still on. When I want the display off I want all lights off.

Patrick

5. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

yamaha rxv3000

I wish the volume settings for the surrounds and sub would remain what I left them on for each source so I wouldn't have to change them when I flip from music to tv.

6. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Harman-Kardon AVR520:

No bass management for analog stereo mode. My speakers get automatically set to large. Although it does give me the option of using my sub in conjunction with the "large" speakers but that is besides the point.

My Backlit feature on my remote stopped working after 2 weeks. I have since replaced it but it was a pain in my a**.

I have this problem with my reciever recognizing the digital signal with a select # of DVD movies. I am currently trying to track down the problem.

Has Has DTS-ES 6.1 discrete & matrix, but no DD-EX. But I only use a 5.1 speaker set up so this doesn't matter.

Although I believe it is a very nice reciever in all and the good out way the bad in my case.

7. Jeff_Ho

Jeff_Ho Extra

Outlaw Audio 1050 6.1 receiver

I'm impressed with the volume I get out of this receiver, however I don't get the bottom end bass that I used to get with my 50w x 2 Sony receiver. Would like to get some nice warm bass out of it without having to crank it up until my ears bleed to get bass. Seems like just something isn't right and will have my call in to Outlaw Audio tomorrow.Even have these Polk Audio RT55i's set to large so they will receive the lower frequencies. That's really my only dislike

8. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    I agree with Scott, I have a Sony STR-DB925QS and it really irritates me that the x-over is high (100 Hz) and fixed. Newer Sonys have much more flexible bass management.
    Apart from that there isn't anything that really bugs me about it, and I've had it for more than three years now, hmmm, upgrade time perhaps [​IMG]

9. Cory_G

Cory_G Auditioning

I have an older Kenwood, that has DD, DTS, 5.1. There are a couple of things that really irratate me. One is the remote. It is an LCD that uses a joystick to select items and has a 2-way feature. It takes three presses of the button to turn the volume up or down. Needless to say, that was replaced by a universal remote.

Also, the receiver doesn't have 5.1 inputs, so I can't use my DVD-A multichannel out of my Panasonic RP91.

The good thing is that I bought the receiver and a 200 disc changer for less than $500!.

10. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Onkyo 898:
    Onkyo has a version of the Philips Pronto called CHAD
    that works with the unit but they won't release the
    configuration file so I have to program the Pronto I
    already have from scratch.[​IMG]

11. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

denon avr1802

the rear right channel died on me after 3 months of use!!!!!!!

setup procedure is too complicated

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The only two things I don't like on my Marantz SR6200 are:

The remote was a complete POS. Bought an RC2000 MkII and have been satisfied since.

The other is the audio "drop out" (decode-mute circuit) when moving track to track, etc... with my DVD player with the player hooked up via either digital connection. Tis does not happen with my CD player via digital. This is a known issue, and it doesn't make me happy, but it is only a minor one to me.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Sony DB930

1. Fixed LFE crossover (100-125Hz - no one knows exactly)

2. Remote control won't allow me to switch between digital TOSLink/Coax) or analog audio for any given input source, have to get off my lazy butt to change this input type.

3. Clips the first 0.5 second of a digital input source, for 99% of music CDs, this is not a problem, but there are a few CDs that start with music right off the bat, and the decoder doesn't quite lock in on the bitstream in time.

14. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

I have a denon 4802, worst feature, it's in Houston and I'm in california. hehehe... 2nd worst feature, the off button.

but honestly, I don't understand the difference between pure direct and direct stereo modes. Also the remote is better than some and worse than others.

15. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Sheldon:

"yamaha rxv3000

I wish the volume settings for the surrounds and sub would remain what I left them on for each source so I wouldn't have to change them when I flip from music to tv."

Isn't there a memory save on your unit? Mine has it, and I have a lower end model!

16. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo 595. Only real item, and its a nit pick, is that the Dolby Pro Logi II doesn't have adjustible settings. You get only one version, and can't tweak it. Other than that, I really like this receiver. [​IMG]

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Kenwood VR407:

- Not the best sound quality available

- Slight hissing noise from analog audio

- Remote isnt that great, but still very workable

But i got it for a great price back when i got it, and im still very satisfied with it considering how muhc i got it for

18. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Denon 2801: Volume readout is too small. The receiver should have *some* way of letting you know the volume from a distance. My friend's Pioneer puts the volume in big letters on the display while changing it; that'd be nice.

That's a small nit though. At least it has *any* volume display!

19. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha 1200/2200/3200

-Fixed 90 Hz crossover

-No way to activate "processor direct" from the remote

-Now that DD-EX is a standalone format, they still insist on using their proprietary "DD-Matrix 6.1" which does not sound exactly like the real thing

-No memorization of channel levels between inputs/modes

-The company's general reluctance to add/change features between receivers aside from power ratings ( i mean, what's really different between the 1200, 2200, and 3200 besides power??)

20. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Sony STR-DE945
    I hate the cheap speaker connectors for the center and surround speakers. The mains are OK. I wish the volume knob had an LED on it like my old Pioneeer Pro Logic receiver did. I wish composite sources would show up on the S-Vid out connector (and vice versa) so I wouldn't have to yank out the S-Vid cable when I want to dub from VHS to my new DVD recorder.
    I hate that my Vid3 AV jacks are on the front panel. Not that I really mind the idea of an extra set jacks on the front, but I use every set of jacks I've got all the time. That means having cables looped around to the front of the box. Not pretty.
    But there are plenty of things I like about my receiver, or I wouldn't have bought it! [​IMG]