What's new

What do you cut your MDF with? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
As I am about to start with my DIY Shiva + PR sub, I need to find out what would work best for making the cuts. What do you use to cut out the actual box(panels) and what do you use to cut out the circular holes?
How exactly do you make the cuts so precise?
I will be buying these tools, so can you refer me to quality, but cheap tools? I will only be using them for the sub and any other DIY stuff I decide/get sucked into making! :)
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance!!
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Table saw with a 60 tooth 10" carbide blade for the straight cuts. Jasper router jig for the medium to large circles. Bi-metal hole saws for the small stuff

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
For cutting panels: Table saws. Specifically, Hank Frankenberg's Jet contractor saw, Jonathan Atkins's Powermatic contractor saw, and Scott Hinson's Delta unisaw.
So, tip #1 - Make friends with guys that have cool saws :)Because with a good (and properly set up) tablesaw, you just can't screw up a cut.
For routing: DeWalt 621 router + Jasper circle jig. Router opinions will vary, but the jig is a must.
Mark

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
A table saw is the best piece of equipment to have for DIY, but since I have no room or friends, I use this jig/system . Used carefully, it works very well.
Defintely agree on the Jasper jigs. I use a few of the models with the DeWalt 621 plunge router Mark mentioned, and it's a flawless combo.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Thanks guys for the replies.
I just want to ask something else. Is there anyway that I could use my Dremel tool to cut out the holes for the sub and PR? It should do fine at least with the holes that are to be put in the internal bracings shouldn't it? There is a Dremel router attachment that I can get, but would it be worth spending the money? Would it work?
I do know though that I need a "straight" saw to cut the the actual box out.
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don't skimp on tools, the dremel is okay, but for many holes (even in bracing), the dremel would not be the tool of choice for me. Stick with a router (with plunging action if possible) for the holes, unless you are lucky and have access to a drill press with hole saw attachments. I have gotten by with a $65 plunge router, ear plugs, and a $20 spiral upcut carbide-tipped router bit for my 5 speakers and 3 subwoofers.
Your best bet is to find friends like Mark and I have done w/r/t the table saw. I'm very fortunate to have a friend with a table saw who loves cutting up wood for me (but I don't abuse this "perk", and I don't waste his time, I get all the dimensions for the panel cuts worked out ahead of time and an hour later, I have my panels cut).
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
re: dremel tools
I agree with p@ The dremel is just too small for MDF work. You'll find that MDF is pretty hard on bits so you should use carbide bits and blades. I don't remember seeing any carbide tools for the 1/8" dremels. You can buy a workable router for less than $100. So, if you plan to do more DIY I would definately recommend it. As for saws. You can use a circular saw with a clamp on straight edge. If you take your time with setup it is plenty accurate enough for projects. It will take longer but it will work.

Don't kill yourself or your tools using a router to cut the actual holes for the drivers. Use the router and a circle jig to make the recesses for the drivers' flanges and then finish the hole with a jigsaw. It's a lot faster and easier.
Dennis

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
I used a jigsaw to cut all my circles. Worked really well actually. Drew all the circles, then followed the line.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks