What's new

What do you consider good repair support time from your dealer? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure which is the best forum to put this under, but because it involves my receiver I posted it here....

I brought in a Denon 3802 (2 months) old into Tweeter to have it checked out (audible hiss/dull mid to upper range). This was on Thursday April 11. I was told that it was going to Tweeter's repair depot the next Tuesday. Keep in mind that the repair depot is actually about 1/4 mile away from the store in King of Prussia, PA.

I was told that once it got to the repair team, it would be looked at immediately and I would be told what the problem was (or if there was actually a problem). If there was a problem, I would be given a new receiver to replace the other.

Well, now it is April 30 and as far as I can tell the receiver hasn't been looked at yet! After a week in the King of Prussia repair depot, it was sent to New York (American Radio I think...) because Tweeter techs don't repair Denons anymore!?! Because the repair company in New York isn't a Tweeter company, Tweeter can't get a status on the receiver and therefore can only tell me that it will be up to 4 weeks more! Tweeter will only give me a replacement receiver if they know the other has a problem!

If I could return the receiver and get my money back I would because I went to a local shop so that I could have convenient access for my repairs. My other dealing in equipment in the area have been through the Hi-Fi House. I had some problems with Hi-Fi salesman, but their repair has always been top notch! I brought a Paradigm sub in the other day and the guy fixed it right there in front of me! That's what I call great service! The other time I dealt with Hi-fi was a receiver problem and they kept me informed each step of the way on its status.

What do you expect from your Home Theater dealer's repair support? Would you consider the Tweeter example above acceptable???? Is there anything I can do?

KyleS

Screenwriter
Possibly they are just no longer repairing Denons due to Denon not paying for the work, it was too much hassle, or that Denon didnt want them to anymore?? Cant really tell you those are just some guesses about why they had to send off the receiver or the last reason is that the person in the store really doesnt know and just fed you a line? (been known to happen even at respectable stores).

I would think that anything more then a month is too much time, Unless they are willing to give you a loaner of equal or better value then your 3802. Usually when store give out loaners they are quicker to repair the unit since the Demo they gave you is simply losing value the longer its out and it cant be sold.

The local store did save you the hassle of boxing and shipping your unit out and for sure didnt charge you a dime to ship this unit for you. Go into the store and get on the managers ass and ask that you be taken care of for the reasons that you described above. Also you may want to look into the laws in your state some often have acceptable repair times or it will fall under lemon law.

Best of luck,

KyleS

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Wow, what a mess. I can feel your frustration.

It's not going to be helpful to you in this case, but most stores have a 30 day return policy. I try to put anything I buy under considerable test during that time and if something shows up, just return it and get another.

Back to your problem. The only thing I would think of is that the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Contact the Tweeter store manager. Found out who the regional manager is. Find out who the CEO is. Keep going up, up and up. I sometimes find that the higher up you go, the faster the action. People below the CEO just want this annoyance to go away.

The fact is, you bought a new piece of equipment with the expectation that it work properly. That is apparently not what you got. Why should you continue to suffer?

You don't seem like the type, but I'll mention this anyway. Yelling, threatening, cursing only causes the complainer to lose quickly. Higher-ups tend to respond best to intellegent, logical, self assured and articulate people.

Oh yes, you asked if this seems acceptable. Not to me in doesn't, but fairly common.

Deane

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I think part of my aggravation is due to my expectation of being able to get a status on my unit other than "its still out". I expect within a day or two to be able to hear at least a diagnosis of the problem and what they are doing to solve it. "We are waiting for parts A, B, and C so that we can fix your receivers widget D" is a better answer that "we don't know, wait 2-6 weeks.":frowning:

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
It's not going to be helpful to you in this case, but most stores have a 30 day return policy. I try to put anything I buy under considerable test during that time and if something shows up, just return it and get another.
Yeah, I know.:rolleyes:That's my fault. I have a computer desk closer to my speakers that my normal seating area. I didn't really notice the hiss until I was listening to music at the computer at a low volume and I heard the hiss. Then I starting listening for the hiss and could hear it during any quiet passage from my normal listening area.
As for the dull upper frequencies, this is the main reason I want to hear a status from Tweeter. To me voices/instruments sound slightly unnaturally dull. When I first got the Denon it replaced a Yamaha 596 receiver. The Yamaha was very bright, painfully bright at times, and the Denon sounded wonderful in comparison. After awhile I started to notice this slight dullness and I was past the 30 day return period.
Tweeter does have a 120 day trade up policy and if this "dullness" is the way the Denon really sounds, I would like to have enough time to evaluate speaker position and other factors with enough time so that I can upgrade to a better receiver if need be. I just want to keep the option open as it is my only one right now!

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
It would be interesting to know how they would respond if you decided to take advantage of the trade up policy while they had yours in repair. In other words, get the new unit now and they can have the old one when it is finished.

Deane

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Some repair shops are a little shady. I had to get some repair work done. Called around for authorized repair shops. Everyone of them quoted a 3 week wait time before they would look at the unit -- unless I paid a $20 "express fee." Finally found a repair shop that would look at it immediately. Turned out to be no problem.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone of them quoted a 3 week wait time before they would look at the unit -- unless I paid a $20 "express fee."
The funny thing is that I bought the Tweeter Service extention which supposedly puts me into the "express queue". If I am getting the faster service, I would hate to see the normal turnaround time! ;)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my receiver was finally looked at yesterday! I got a message on my answering machine and was told to call back with more information to help them find the problem because everything seems OK to them. I called back 10 minutes after they called me and left a message to call me back. I haven't heard back since. I also talked to two different customer service reps last week that were supposed to call me right back, but never did.

I called the store manager (who was a little rude from the start) and after telling my story told him that I would only be happy if I can return my remote and manuals and get a full refund. I was told that refunds were only given before 30 days. I told him that if I knew their service was defective within that 30 days I would have returned the receiver then. Silence.... After more prying I found out I was never put into the "fast service line" that my service contract gives me. They screwed up and he decided that I could have my refund. I will never buy from that store again!

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Well-

I purchased a Pioneer Elite vsx-33tx receiver from Now! Audio Video in Knoxville, TN. Almost one year to the date something inside the unit failed- turned it in under warranty and found out the unit was under recall for the problem I experienced. That was in December 2001. The unit was repaired and I got it back sometime in February, 2002. Within 3 days it blew up again, and has since been in repair. Supposedly this time they were unable to fix the unit "in house" and had to return it to Pioneer. So I have had my unit working for a total of 3 days in the last 5 months.

Talk about crappy service.

Andrew B.

J

John Morris

Tom: That sucks! Part of what you pay for when you buy from a local B&M at their inflated pricing is good service. They should have offered you a loaner unit while your under warranty new unit was being repaired.

Here is what I would do.

First, tell them that you want a new unit or a loaner(take their demo unit if possible)until your NEW unit is returned to you. If they refuse, tell them that you want to take advantage of their 1 year upgrade program to upgrade to the Denon 3803 unit. Under that program, you get full purchase price credit toward a new upgraded unit. If they still refuse, tell them that you are gonna dispute the purchase with your credit card.

At the same time as step #1 you should also notify Denon directly about your problems with Tweeter and their brand new 3802 receiver.

Let us know how this turns out... good luck!

DOH! I just read your last post and have seen that you got your refund. Good Job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks