What's new

what do you call these symbols: :) (1 Viewer)

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
i see that the symbols i typed show up as graphics...what i want are the symbols that you would type in an email.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
They are called "emoticons". And yes, the BBS software translates them into graphic symbols unless you choose the "disable smilies" option when posting.

Regards,

Joe

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
There called smilies. There's links here when you reply to a post to a whole bunch. You'll notice that when you click on one, the actual text characters are shown. If you do a search on the net for smilies you should come up with a bunch.

By the way, ":-(" is trademarked by Despair.com so you have ot have their permission to use it. Really, it is, but I don't think they mind if you use it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The typed text characters are "emoticons" and long predate the graphic "smilies". Two different names, two different things. ";)" ;)

Regards,

Joe

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
By the way, ":-(" is trademarked by Despair.com so you have ot have their permission to use it. Really, it is, but I don't think they mind if you use it.
They don't have a choice as to whether I use it or not. Period. I was using that emoticon back in the eighties - along with millions of others - long before despair.com came around.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> By the way, ":-(" is trademarked by Despair.com

That article on their site reads like something from the Onion. I think they're kidding. (If not, it's ironic, because their whole product line is a ripoff of another company's "success" related products.) Plus can you really trademark punctuation? I thought there had to be letters in the mark.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
They have a link to a government site showing their mark. I think its for real. All it really means is you can't use ":-(" as your company logo. But I think they did it to highlight the stupidity in the way trademarks and patents are handed out. Seriously, does anybody believe that Amazon came up with the idea of an online discussion forum? But they've got a patent for it. So Despair trademarked ":-(" before Amazon got to it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
How about the NAMBLA episode of South Park where Cartman is intstant messaging all those men and singing as he types the smileys...

"Clown Hat...Curly Hair...Smiley Face!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks