What's new

What do you call it - pop, soda, or soda-pop? (1 Viewer)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Here's my theory:

People in the West call it pop. People in the East call it soda. People from the mid-west call it soda-pop. Am I on track here? What do Europeans & Canadians call it?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Here in VT it's soda, but all my PA relatives call it pop, so I'm not sure you can categorize by east-west.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It's soda here in Milwaukee, but I think we're surrounded by "pops".

I avoid the confusion and drink beer.

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty much "coke" where I am, too. I only use it as a generic term. If I'm asking for something to drink, I always get specific...Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, etc.

I do know people who will ask others at a party if they want a "coke" to drink, and then they get to their refrigerator and say, "Well, we have Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, and Sprite." What happened to the Coke? That gets irritating sometimes.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
In the greater Boston area / New England, we tend to call it "soder". :)
Sometimes my wife slips and calls it "tonic" (probably got that from her mother). Brings to mind "tonic water". Bleah! :)
KJP

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I call it Coke and get that from my mother who was raised in Pensacola. I've heard the term coke is most dominant in the South because Coca-Cola is headquartered in Atlanta.

In Missouri it typically is different between KC and St. Louis, however since I always said coke, I don't remember what other people said in KC.

I once saw a map on the US where you could vote by region so it could try and come up with a pattern.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And in my place, the distinction doesn't apply. If the beveridge is not spelled b-e-e-r, it doesn't get consumed.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
In the area of Pennsylvania I'm from, it's soda. In WV, where I went to school, everyone seemed to call it pop. Out here in LA, I only hear soda.

Ike

Screenwriter
Coke mostly in the south, like all tissues are Kleenex and all bandages are Band-Aids. Why do we use brand-specific names? I couldn't tell you.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Eastern PA is soda, western is pop

Soda is the only proper term! Same with hoagie! It's NOT A SUB!

*walks away mumbling something about heathens*

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
It's generally called soda here. I hate it when people call all sodas "Coke" because that leads to me getting Pepsi sometimes when I ask for Coke.
smiley_puke.gif

Evan Case

Screenwriter
*high fives Jeff.

Tell it like it is, my eastern Pennsylvania brother! These people out in Pittsburgh love to call it "pop".

Can't wait until Friday when I get back home and have a whole summer of ordering "soda" without being stared at.

I'm thinking that the legendary Indiana (Pennsylvania) soda/pop line is in fact true.

Evan (Who sez, "Don't get me started on all of the bizarre interpretations of a Philly Cheesesteak you find outside of the proper area.")

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
My roommate 2 years ago in college was from Minnesota and he called every sort of soft drink "pop". I'm from Louisville, KY and I say coke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks