What do you all think of the yamaha NS-A200XT speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew s wells, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I saw these at best buy and from the demo i heard they sound great. Of course the listening environment is quite different in a home. Any of you who may own them, what do you think of them? I didnt ask while i was there, and i'm not a super technical person, but it looks like a sub woofer built in at the bottom of the speaker.. is it? thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Dual 8's, a mid, plus a tweet?

I saw this pair playing somme rap once, and the mid was pounding like the woofs. Not good.

Seems as if the midrange driver wasn't sealed off from the woofers at all.

Maybe for less than $200 they'd be ok, but I'm picky.

Just bring in music you like, make the bass and treble '0' or flat, and give a good listen.

If you don't like them, the used market is sure to give you half your money back!

3. Andrew s wells

Thanks for the input. any other people have anything to add?

4. Andrew s wells

Surely someone else out there has these speakers. Feel free to chime in. Don;t be afraid.[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Generally speaking, Sony and Yamaha speakers don't get much play here. I've had a higher-end Yamaha center for years, and I never hear anything about it, even though it's really a good center. But, it's Yamaha.

These things are engineered well enough, but the materials and craftsmanship are not really up to par with dedicated speaker manufacturers.

As far as what you get for the dollar, I guess it's up to you if you think they are worth it. But the best advice you can get is to listen carefully, and listen often, to as many different types / makers as you can.

Like I said earlier, the midrange shouldn't pound like a woofer. No way. But it did. That says a lot.

$400 per pair will get you a very nice pair of 6.5 inch bookshelves, which would be a better way to spend your money, IMHO. You'd be suprised what quality can do vs. quantity.

- C

6. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

hey Andrew,

I have a pair of the 200xt's in front and as my rears. my first impression was a little lacking in the mid section. i think that might be because they are alumin.(my old 4 way speakers have a paper mid). They sounded pretty good in best buy, but they sound even better at my house.

BTW: from the mid up IS sealed from the woofers(i think the reason it pounds with the woofers is that it isnt crossed over high enough. but it doesnt distort, if your worried about that)

another thing: it isnt a subwoofer at the bottom, its just another woofer(they DO go down to 32HZ)

someday i plan on making them into bipolar speakers(with some work of course.!

any other questions, just ask!!

Mike

7. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I have a pair matched to a Kenwood 509 receiver and a DCM center. I think they are an incredible value. I have played just about everything you can imagine at all possible levels, and they have never shown any distortion. I just listened to Diana Krall in concert on DVD and these speakers sounded pristine. I highly recommend them.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I picked up the previous generation for $18 on a double the difference deal at Good Guys. Well worth the $18, but definitely not a high performance speaker, and certainly not worthy of their list price tag. The wood is very thin, the crossovers are cheap at best, and the drivers are average. The sound was not too bad actually, they were clear and natural sounding, but nothing spectacular. Ok for movies, but not good for music. They are lacking much on the low and mid-bass end, and would need to be paired with a sub to be convincing. In which case, there are plenty of other small bookshelf speakers that would do better for around the same price.
    (I sold them for almost 3X what I paid for them! [​IMG] )

9. farnamT

farnamT Agent

I head these in best buy when i was shopping around. They are horrible sounding if you actually do a side by side test. I ended up with infinity Entra One bookshelfs. They produce clear highs and smooth midrange. I think the yamaha sound like they are covered with a blanket. Those aluminum speakers are just for looks. Best buy carrys crappy speakers for the most part. JBL being the best. Goto special audio stores.