What's new

What do you all think of the Infinity HPS-1000 Sub? (1 Viewer)

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator
Infinity 15" Powered Subwoofer HPS-1000. I just heard about these today when a friend of mine bought it off the net, I cant find any good reviews of this sub, and ideas how it does?

Thanks!

PaulW

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I owned one,and have 2 friends who had them also[I think 1 still has it].
It's very good for movies,lot's of slam,but for music they weren't all that what should be,they lacked some "finesse".
BTW they are tuned to 28hz which naturaly is not disclosed in the manual.They output will fell below 25hz rather quickly.

Michael E

Grip
Actually the manual says they are tuned to go down to 18hz I believe. They sound very good in my opinion, but best to be crossed over at 60hz and below. They have a great deal of output. I have 2 currently but have owned 3 and I have also owned 2 svs subs as well. As far as music goes I feel they do a very good job, but for movies you would be hard pressed to find one better. They have a great deal of slam. I have taken one apart before and the components seem to be first rate. I hope some of this helps

Mike

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There is a big difference between the tuning point and the -3dB point measured from a 90dB frequency sweep.

Paradigm claims the -3dB point of the PW2200 is 18hz. But when TN tested it at it's maximum output it was between 106 and 112dB from 30-60hz. Below 30hz it started to fall quickly down to 91dB by 20hz. When I measured its' port dimensions and used the given internal volume of the sub I calculated it was tuned to somewhere between 27hz and 30hz. Which makes complete sense given TN's data.

I'm sure the Infinity is no different.

Michael E

Grip
I understand your point. But the HPS 1000 Doesn't have a port but instead uses (2) 15in. passive radiators. It uses a 1000 watt amp for the main driver, and the enclosure size is substantial making a 18hz tuning point very possible. HE stryke enclosures are very similar in dimensions and setup. I do not believe that TN has tested the hps 1000. I would love it if he did.

Mike

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well, roughly the HPS1000 box is 125L. A pair of Adire's PR15 units loaded to their max could tune it as low as 16hz. However, without specifics on the PRs and the enclosure there is no way I can know for sure. So I took Lewis at his word. How confident are you in your 28hz number Lewis?

If the PW2200 would drop to a more widely flared 4" port instead of the straighter 5" port, and make it as long as possible given the current box they too could tune to under 20hz but for some reason it wasn't done.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
But the HPS 1000 Doesn't have a port but instead uses (2) 15in. passive radiators. It uses a 1000 watt amp for the main driver, and the enclosure size is substantial making a 18hz tuning point very possible
Well as you know PR boxes like ported,but the mass of the PR's are like the mass of the air reside in the port,roughly.
If you ever saw this sub in the inside then you would now that it's PR's are very light it has no weight attached to it,it was manufactured for this tuning point for this enclosure,also the driver[made by JBL] has a relatively small excursion[at least compare to popular DIY drivers] about 11 mm p-p,and pr's has not much more.I blew this driver by my enthusiastic demo with the LD version of TPM,so I had to replace it with a JL audio 15W6 driver.
Click on the house icon next to my name and see the picture of it[one before the last on the bottom].

Michael E

Grip
Lewis actually I have seen the inside of this subwoofer many times. I find the PR's very interesting as they have no baskets. I would imagine this gives more usuable volumn for the the sub as you do not have baskets taking up space. Whether this is a design idea or not I have no idea. I think the real issue is measureable output. I think room interactions will play a big role in this, but I have measured over 110db with this sub with a 20 hz test tone. This is not by any means scientific and it is not meant to be taken as such. It does however, demonstrate that this sub has at least decent performance which is what the original poster was asking about.

Lewis I have a specific question for you. I was curious about your driver swap. Did you use the existing mounting brackets with the new sub? Have you tried or heard of people using the blueprint 15in or tempest 15in. in these? Your knowledge of these subs seems quite extensive, I look forward to your response.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks