What do u think of this...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn_Pellet, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Shawn_Pellet

Shawn_Pellet Auditioning

I am going to buy a new projector soon, and after alot of research and so forth ive found the Sanyo XW15 to be in my budget. But i am wondering if it is a good choice for a projector. meaning will i get good picture quality out of this? I have never owned a projector before so i wouldnt know.
    ITs
    300:1 contrast ratio
    XGA
    800 lumens
    Will this produce a good picture on a 6' screen? is that a good contrast ratio? Im not looking for top of the line stuff but i want a nice picture.
    Thanks alot
    shawn

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Shawn-

Can you control the lighting in your theater room (eg make it completely dark?)... How far away will the projector be from the screen?

3. Shawn_Pellet

Shawn_Pellet Auditioning

Matt,
    Yes i can control the light to an extent. Its not pitch dark but pretty dark, there is nolights on.
    Its about 12 - 16 feet the projector can go from the screen...
    why do these things matter in my overall descision of what projector to buy?
    thanks
    shawn

4. Matt Stryker

If you have too much ambient light in the room (unless it is completely dark) you may need a brighter projector. If you do most of your viewing at night, this may not matter. You are also going with a smaller screen size, so there will be more light reflected off your screen than if you went with an 8' screen.

The XW15 looks like a pretty good performer; You should also check out the Boxlight XP-5t, Canon LV-7105, and the Eiki LC-XM1 ; they are all clones of the XW15 and may be sold for considerably less. The Boxlight in particular seems to be an excellent combination of performance and value.

The reason I asked about the distance is to see if you had enough room to get the screen size you want. Using the throw calculator at ProjectorCentral.com and your ideal 6'(72") screen you'll need to position the projector between 9.4 and 11.3 feet from the screen. Anywhere in that range would work, and you can use the zoom lens to adjust it.

5. Shawn_Pellet

Shawn_Pellet Auditioning

So if i have a 6 foot screen, it will be better picure than a 8 foot screen?
    This projector looks decent and i can get it a great cost Canadian. The only thing i wonder is how good it will look. I mean i want it to look good when im watching it. I usually watch movies at night so it can get pretty dark, but if i were to in the day i can stick a black blanket over the window, should make it dark.
    I need an opinion, do u think i should spend alittle more to get more lumens or go with the good deal i can get now? is 1000 lumens much better than 800?
    thanks alot for your time
    shawn

6. Shawn_Pellet

Shawn_Pellet Auditioning

??

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Shawn:

I looked up the specs on the projector you're considering over at projectorcentral.com.

The main problem with the projector is in the area of contrast ratio. It's actually only rated at 250:1. While you can squeeze a "decent" picture out of that, many night scenes and/or dark scenes will look a little "muddy" with a contrast ratio that low. Bright daytime scenes will have the potential to render deep saturated colors, but will still lack some "depth".

You might want to also check out the new PLUS Piano projector which will provide you with a much better contrast ratio and less "screendoor" effect (due to the fact that the projector you're considering is LCD-based, and the Piano is DLP-based.) The PLUS also contains an excellent line doubler/scaler with 3:2 pulldown which has been optimized for DVD viewing.

The PLUS Piano is not as good as the XW15 in the area of lumens (just 450), and also provides less resolution than the Sanyo, but you should be OK in both areas with the screen size you're considering.

8. Shawn_Pellet

Shawn_Pellet Auditioning

Thanks Joseph,
    i have another question for you,
    what kind of contrast is decent? would 400:1 be a nice contrast?
    And if a projector says the native resolution is 800x600
    and the maximum is 1024 x 740, does this mean u can watch movies on the maximum, or does it only work on native.

9. Matt Stryker

You can run it at any supported resolution, but it will always only display 600 lines of resolution. The PJ simply scales the 768 lines down into 600.

10. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

11. Shawn_Pellet

Shawn_Pellet Auditioning

Hey Joseph,
    thanks for the reply! yeah i was checking out that Piano and it looks good! the only thing i wonder is the lumens..? I dont know if that will be enough...
    I keep hearing this "rainbow effect". What exactly do u see, and how often with DLP's. How do some people see them and some not? Im Vexxed! Oh and what about the NEC 150z is this a decent projector?
    thanks alot
    shawn

12. ParnellH

ParnellH Auditioning

Something you might consider regarding the Piano. At a rated 450 ANSI lumens for dynamic motion video, that's pretty good. A lot of manufacturers will rate the lumens high for static, computer generated images, then everyone wonders why the image looks so much less bright and dynamic when showing video. The fact is, the lamp used in the Piano is the same lamp used in their 1000 ANSI lumen projector, the U3-1100Z. It's just that PLUS is calling a spade a spade and using the correct rating for the VIDEO output of the projector. The Piano, set up correctly, will give you an unbelievable image for the bucks.

13. Shawn_Pellet

Shawn_Pellet Auditioning

yeah i checked out that piano and it looks awsome! Just the lumens were kinda bothering me.... So do u think it would suit my purpose, the lights in the room can be turned off...I normally watch movies at night aswell. if thats the case it shouldnt downgrade the quality of the picture, wouldnt u say?
    Oh and u say that it uses the lamp of 1000 ansi projector.. does this mean its the equivilant of 1000 lumens or close to it?
    thanks alot
    shawn