What's new

What do those little silica packets do? (2 Viewers)

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Well just finished a bottle of Perscription med and lo and behold....
CANNETTE SORB-IT CAN
i.e. Silica Gel in a little plastic can...
Canned Silica
Who Knew.....

John Watson

Screenwriter
Congratulations Silica Posters!
Someone has just asked how to pack electronic gear for a move, and NO ONE facetiously reminded that poster not to forget the silica pack!
I think we can assume this thread is over.
:)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I had one all typed and ready to go, then didn't submit it. I figured it was too easy. :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
How many items can we find a silica packet in:

I was walking in the grocery store recently and noticed there is a silica packet in those packs of Beef Jerky!

I also noticed in my backpacker food that I get from Mountain House, there is a silica packet

Jay

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Paul hate to burst your bubble, but those cans of silica are in bottles of Plavix $78.00(price varies at your participating pharmacy) for a one month supply...

Hey that's about the cost of a hard drive.....

But I'm saving all of mine for when my wife makes soupy lasagna...

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Mark what about the good news???

You know I didn't know I was loosing my silica...

sounds like a song....

"That's me in the corner loosing my silica.."

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute. I don't think silica could absorb ocean water, because of the salt. Wouldn't you just be left with a bunch of salt in the former ocean area?
And speaking of that, I am curious to find out just how much water (AKA: salsa) a single silica packet can hold. Then I want to find out how many two and three can hold. If someone can find this out for me, maybe I could make some sort of magical silica equation and figure out how many packets it would take for the ocean to be turned into saltsa! ;)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Desiccant Bags

Great for removing humidity from sealed containers—perfect for shipping and storage. Effective volume is calculated at 77° F and 40% relative humidity unless noted. Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) by the FDA.

Silica Gel— Absorbs up to 21% its weight in moisture (works best when relative humidity is higher than 40%). Meets FDA CFR21. Enclosed in tear-resistant Tyvek bags. Clay— Absorbs up to 18% its weight in moisture. Ideal for many shipping and storage applications. Meets FDA CFR21. Enclosed in tear-resistant Tyvek bags. Anhydrous Calcium Sulfate— Absorbs up to 6.6% its weight in moisture. Works best at higher temperatures. Enclosed in crepe bags.

Effective

just saw that you can order silica from mcmastercarr.com so no more buying hard drives....

you can get 50 8oz packets for $172 or 3000 0.009oz packets for only $45.62, order now!!

this way tony, you can calculate how much it will cost to suck the ocean into silica, and there will finally be enough salsa for everyone

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I was browsing the after hours lounge, and noticed that there was a thread called "What do those little Silica packets do?". I saw that it had been going on for 6 pages and figured there was some raging debate going on about the true nature of those little packets. Well I decided to NOT read any pages, jump to the end, and settle the debat or whatever it is making this so long.
They absorb moisture!!!
:D
Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.