What's new

What do those little silica packets do? (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Bryan X /t/127749/what-do-those-little-silica-packets-do/720#post_3521894
Not too long ago, my wife and I took our boat out on the lake not realizing that I had a small silica packet with me. The people that lived along the lake were pissed.
Where was I back in 09? This is hysterical!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I stick one under each arm during the summer. Way better than anti-antiperspirant..
(Sorry if it's been said before...)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Marko Berg said:
It's good to have Tony Whalen back on the boards. I was worried for a time that apparently silica was able to absorb member accounts here on the HTF, but somehow Tony overcame the problem. Thanks for visiting Costco and buying that giant tub of salsa.
Thanks Marko!
It was close. I unpacked a new Christmas tree a couple seasons back... there were HUGE silica packets in there.. and I was close to my fish tank at the time.
It was like getting caught in opposing g-forces... almost didn't make it.
Luckily, my wife came out of the kitchen with a bowl of mango salsa and saved the day....
Close call....
:)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
4b7cb4f7_boxer_shorts.jpeg

http://www.cafepress.com/+boxer_shorts,1651017
Silica - likable but not ♥able...

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
I don't even think the author knows what they're used for. Since nobody's mentioned it so far: they absorb moisture.
PFFFFFFF!!!!! You fool. EVERYONE knows they absorb Lava.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
You know that Kevin Costner movie, Waterworld? Why didn't he just throw a couple of packets of silica into the ocean? Viola! Who cares about the polar caps melting? We Have Silica!!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Joseph Howard /t/127749/what-do-those-little-silica-packets-do/750#post_3877053
What do you then do with the extraordinarily humongous silica packs after they absorb waterworld?
sleep on them, they'll be like giant water beds!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I love that this thread is still around.I just returned to the Alberta prairies after a couple of weeks at various (humid) western coastal cities.I think I know how a silica packet feels. All the moisture has been leached outta my skin by the dry prairie wind. :)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Sahara - Once a paradise of water, plants, wildlife. Then some joker got careless with silica packets, diaster followed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nice thread bump.

I got a BUNCH of packets the other day...meant to come here and post...but forgot. :(

Now I'm thinking the silica may have absorbed some of my thoughts.
doh2.gif

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I get a packet every now and then, they come in some hiking boots, freeze dried meals, etc..

Ive kind of stopped collecting them, ya know they could be very dangerous in the wrong hands :)

Jay

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow, it's crazy seeing this thread again. I first posted on this topic over 11 years ago!

And I still have no idea if this stuff about silica and salsa is true, or just a rumor started on some internet forum somewhere...

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Craig S said:
Wow, it's crazy seeing this thread again. I first posted on this topic over 11 years ago!

And I still have no idea if this stuff about silica and salsa is true, or just a rumor started on some internet forum somewhere...
Oh it's true, you better believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.