What's new

What do those little silica packets do? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /forum/thread/127749/what-do-those-little-silica-packets-do/720#post_3685029

Da-amn, Nick. Been a LONG time. And you return to finally solve this mystery for us. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif">
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk /forum/thread/127749/what-do-those-little-silica-packets-do/720#post_3685199

Agreed.

You've been on this forum a while if you joined prior to Silica.
I just checked the OP (5-27-03, BTW) and then realized that the answer was given in the next few posts (repeatedly).

Then...by Post #6...we were off and running!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was just trying to give a nice welcome home to a prodigal son. I figure we all know the true purpose of silica[SIZE= smaller]*[/SIZE]. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
[SIZE= smaller]* to keep the zombies at bay[/SIZE]

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
What surprised me is how long this thread sat idle. Over a year passed between post 736 & 737. Can silica absorb time also?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/127749/what-do-those-little-silica-packets-do/720#post_3685264
Then...by Post #6...we were off and running! /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
And we marvel at what those first 17 minutes have spawned...

Marianne

Supporting Actor
The Guinness Book of World Records shows that the person who has the largest collection of silica packets lives in Greece.
Coincidence? I think not!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Coming soon to QVC!
18067fef_silicawow.jpg

For all your moisture absorption needs!

Matthew Ploor

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Ploor
At last! A real answer to the question what do those little silica packets do... if you eat them!
http://www.slate.com/id/2298798/?GT1=38001
According to the article the answer is: nothing. Well, that was anitclimactic.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Y'know... Costco sells giant tubs of salsa. I wonder if they come packed in boxes with silica?
Or would that just open a singularity?
Off topic a bit.... does anyone know what those little packets REALLY do? I fear I've forgotten...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Tony Whalen. He's back, and he's BAD!
Now it's going to bother me. What movie is that from? Short Circuit 2?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It's written right on the packet that you shouldn't eat it but it comes packaged in food items including dog treats, hmmmm.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, as said above, they are dessicant packets. They absorb atmospheric moisture/humidity during transportation/storage in uncontrolled transports/warehouses, so your shoes/electronics/doggie treats/etc don't. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
So they absorb moisture? Why don't they get bigger from all the moisture they absorb??

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Fun fact: International law prohibits the transportation of silica packets aboard ships. There's too much risk of the ocean drying up if the ship were to sink. Also, silica packets cannot be flown above the ocean in case of a crash, for the same reason. Silica packets must be manufactured either within country or at least in a neighboring country with land access.
(from a quick sampling of past posts, I'm pretty sure this has been covered)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Russell G said:
So they absorb moisture? Why don't they get bigger from all the moisture they absorb??
They actually DO Russell.
It's just that those little packets allegedly also contain a small access point into N-space, so that the moisture is wicked away into another dimension, thus preventing the contents from swelling and maintaining the space/time continuum.
Except it doesn't work on salsa for some reason.
(Well that's what I heard!)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
It's good to have Tony Whalen back on the boards. I was worried for a time that apparently silica was able to absorb member accounts here on the HTF, but somehow Tony overcame the problem. Thanks for visiting Costco and buying that giant tub of salsa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.