What's new

What do the Simpsons sound like in DPL? (1 Viewer)

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I just started a thread under "A/V sources" regarding hooking up cable. But I wanted to ask a general question here.

I've never heard the rear channels when using DPL so I think I must have something hooked up incorrectly. I remember once years ago I was at a friend's house and we watched the Simpsons. The opening theme and music before/after commercials seemed to come from the rear speakers.

So on a properly set-up system is there sound from the rear channels?

Thanks

Tom

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Yes, the music is the main sound out of the rears. If you can't hear the music, especially at the begining, than something is hooked up wrong. Usually the rest of the show the rears don't make a difference.

Mark

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
If you're watching Simpsons on a TV station, keep in mind there are countless ways for a TV station to screw up DPL. For DPL to work, first they have to do stereo sound and not mono. If they can't do true stereo then DPL is impossible. There are some TV stations that do a false simulated stereo from mono. And they have to avoid any sort of audio processing that might futz with phase relationships.

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, Thanks for the responses. I'm going to double check all my hook-ups.

I get Fox from NYC, so I would like to assume that as a major market they do it right. Can anyone else with Cablevision in the NYC area comment?

I'll check my wiring (which I think is correct) and post back.

Thanks

Tom

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
sometimes cable modulates the signals in mono, it's cheaper that way.
Also if you have a vcr hooked up, the output via the RF output is usually mono

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
So far I have not noticed many instances where I could tell the rears were being used. I have always suspected that was because things were designed to be immersive. The only time I ever noticed it was during an episode of Babylon-5. There was an insane person running down a hallway hearing voices in his head. The voices used the DLP to come from all different directions, and sound super-cool. It was creepy till I realized how awesome the effect was, then I was just distracted by the coolness. I am looking forward to the day TV producers can count on everyone having 5.1 or better, it will make things so awesome. :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Only when I recieve a DD broadcast usually with HD do my surrounds get a work out, I understand your concern
Grant

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Hmm, I thought the Simpsons were all in DPL, but remember the caveat at the beginning of every episode:

Dolby Surround- where available (the caveat)

I get the Simpsons in SF bay area and the surrounds channels do work, whenever they use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks