What do people do with the builders wiring?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Greg Haynes, May 17, 2004.

1. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

My home is still in the foundation stage but when it comes time to do the pre-wire rough-in what have most people done with the wiring the builder provides. My builder does do some structured wiring with a Home Director distribution panel in the basement and 4 TV and 4 Phone connections. This wiring comes standard with the house.

I plan to run lots of cable to basically future proof the house. After making up my wiring diagram I will end up with 26 RG6's runs and 32 CAT6 runs. I plan to purchase 2 distribution panels to house the video in one and the data and phone in the other.

Now what do I do with the cable that the builder already runs? Have people asked the builder not to run the cable at all. Is this allowed? Or do most people just tie in their system with the builders?

Thanks in advance.

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I'd just run your wiring in conjuction with whatever the builder is putting in. The wiring they are putting in is a fixed cost and already figured in so you might as well let them run it. It would probably cause more problems and confusion for their contractors if told to not run their wire.