What do I need to use DVD-A & SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Dec 5, 2002.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

I know that I need a player capable of reading those formats but is there anything needed on the receiver end? I've seen newer receivers that advertise 5.1 audio inputs for DVD-A sources. Is that needed? Won't a digital output take care of that? Is there an advantage to either method?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi david -

the only thing you need is a receiver that has the 5.1 inputs. some higher-end models even have two of these.

because of copy-protection issues, these players must output their signal via an analog connection - hence the 5.1 setup.

note that some companies are creating a proprietary link between their receivers and cd players. for example, denon has something called "d-link". i think pioneer has their own version too.

3. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Hi David,

Depends on how bad you want it.

If you've got to have it NOW, you'll need a player (SACD or DVD-Audio or a universal that does both) and 6 interconnects to hook it up to your processor (receiver or pre/pro). Your processor must have "pass-through" analog inputs which are volume-controlled only before being sent on to the amps. Some processors (not many) have the ability to convert the analog inputs signals to digital, apply bass management and/or time alignment, tone controls, etc. before converting them back to analog and sending them on to the amps. Alternatively, most players have some rudimentary bass management capabilities (almost none have time alignment (speaker distances)). So you have a continuum of kludges from the high-dollar, low WAF ideal of 5 perfectly spaced full-range (20-20k) speakers + sub to a mangled player-based bass management system all the way to a scenario where there's a first D/A in the player, an A/D in the processor, BM+TA applied, a 2nd D/A in the processor and onto the amps.

If you can wait a bit, there may be a different way to proceed. The "powers that be" are rapidly converging on a high-bandwidth digital interface standard between players and processors. Sony's iLink network looks to be the upcoming standard for this interface. Pioneer is the only one to have it on the street in its 47Ai universal player and 49TXi receiver. Other manufacturers are taking the position that they will implement the interface once it has been nailed down. You can expect major announcements regarding their plans during the upcoming trade show in January. With an industry-standard digital interface for hirez audio, you'll be able to bolt up any player to any processor and perform both bass management and time alignment completely in the digital domain. This eliminates the need for an expensive and generally unobtainable ideal speaker setup. It also gets rid of unnecessary and sonically compromising A/D and D/A conversions of the signals.

Boils down to now is NOT the time to spend major bucks on hirez audio. Once the standard is adopted, it'll be clear to all of us when and where to put our money. Good luck.

Austin