What's new

What do I need to upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Brandon-K

Grip
I tried making this thread yesterday and for some unknown reason it didn't go through... o well.

Ok, I my current setup is:
Cheap, Crappy TV
Cheap, Crappy DVD Player (Daewooo)
Cheap VCR
Pioneer SX-255r Receiver ()
Adire Kit 281 Towers (Ported)
PS2
NES 8-bit Nintendo
my comptuer also goes through my system for audio and video

I want to do some serious upgrading. I think I'm going to put off on the TV for now b/c my roommate for next year might bring his Plasma Screen down
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

The mainquestion is, What receiver do I want? lol, I know I have to get a new one. What I think I need is:
5 channel, w/ 5.1 support. (I will add a plate amp and 15" sub soon!)
As many inputs as possible (I am currently using 5 inputs by using a switcher --- low quailty :frowning:) both audio and video
I want one that's cheap (not sure on price yet), but I want quality. I was looking at a nice Yamaha for awhile, but I found out that it wasn't 4 ohm stable like it said on the website (which the Adires need to be -- oh yah, that's another requirement).

What do you guys think I should do? Thanks in advanced!

--Great forum, I'm sure I'll be a lurker for a long time.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
For as many inputs as possible, on a receiver that won't cost an arm and a leg, I'd go with JVC. For the money, they can't be beat. If you compare them, side by side, with other receivers in the same price range, you'll see the JVCs have more features and inputs than the others. A lot of them also have a switch on the back for 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers. If it has the switch, you won't have any worries over the speakers you have or choose, and can use ANY speakers you want to.

If you don't have problems with getting a refurbished unit, they had some RX 8030VBKs at www.overstock.com for a very good price. Good luck with whatever you decide on............

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This all depends on your budget. ‘Cheap’ means different things to different people.

Brandon-K

Grip
thx Ed, I'll look into it.
Edit: It says it's only stable at 8 ohm. How do I know if it has a switch?

Lew, I don't know how much want to/can spend. I have a lot of stuff I need to buy, but this is among the top of the list for me. I think over 200$ but not over 300$ would be ideal.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If it doesn't say in the features, I guess ask someone here that has one. I've seen people mention they have one. If I see someone, I'll ask............
My 8020 has one, so I would think that the 8030 does too.
E-mail JVC and ask........their site is
www.jvc.com

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Here's where to post when looking for specific recommendations about receivers. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level as opposed to specific make/model recommendations.

Brandon-K

Grip
Thanks Jack.

Does anyone in this forum have any experience w/ the JVC RX 8030? It looks like a great lil piece!

:emoji_thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Brandon..........
BillWill, another guy here at these forums says the 8030 does not have the switch. He said the only JVCs that still have the switch, are the more expensive ones..........oh well.
Good luck!

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
The Yamaha HTR-5640 should also be a good receiver in this price range. It can be found online for about $250. I'm actually thinking about the 5660, it's about $100 more.

Brandon-K

Grip
That one seems 8 ohm as well (75x6 @ 8 ohms) :frowning: Thx for the thought and thanks for doing the research Ed. I'm gonna keep looking as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks