What's new

What Do I Need to Record TV Programs on my Computer? (1 Viewer)

Joachim Roperos

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a 160 GB hard drive, what else do I need? Can I connect to an external TV? Do I need DVI? Thanks for your help.

joachim

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ok, first you'll need some sort of TV Tuner Card. You can find plenty all over; everyone has their own opinion. They range from ATI, WinTV, etc. to standard BT848 controllers & Conexant.

Then you'll want TV recording software. A lot of them come with WinDVR or PowerVCR II, but those are limited and kind of old; you might look into something like showshifter, etc.

If you want to output from your PC to your TV and keep HD type signals, you'll want a video card that either has SVid out (if your TV has) or DVI (if your TV has a DVI in) you will then want a program called PowerStrip. It will allow you to run your TV in custom resolutions designed for 16:9 HD, etc.

Good luck!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I wish I could help, but I don't have one of these cards yet. I'm still trying to figure out which one to get. I'm also still trying to figure out how I would test the thing, since I don't have very many DTV stations available in my area. (If it wasn't for the FCC Broadcast Flag thing, I would proabably wait a few years before even getting one.)

This post on the AVS forum has a lot of information about different HDTV cards, but hasn't been updated since 4/11/2004.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I added one of THESE to my new Medion PC and although I haven't hooked it up to TV signals yet, everything else about it workks great and the reviews are very favorable.

Alfer

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The Leadtek, based on the Brooktree (BT) chipset is pretty standard fare and well supported. There are tons of cards on the BT chipset, and the advantage is, all the right software supports it :) I alaso recommend Sage as mentioned above, neat software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks