what do i need to play avi/mgeg on my tv?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by BillyBob<>Smith, Jun 29, 2004.

1. BillyBob<>Smith

BillyBob<>Smith Auditioning

Hi all,

I've got a tv card (hauppage), and a bunch of movies/tv shows on my harddrive that look good on my computer monitor (thru, say windows media player). What do I need to do in order to have these movies come out on my tv rather than my monitor?

thanks for any info,

billybob

2. Depends on the card. On mine you just hook up the S-Video cabe and disconnect the VGA cable and start the computer, and it sends the signal automatically to the S-Video. Give that a try (or whatever way you are outputting to the tv).

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

You have to disconnect the VGA cable? What happens if you have both the S-Video and VGA connected?

4. Well in the case of my card it sends the signal to VGA as default, so if the VGA is disconnected it goes to the next signal and sends it out on S-Video.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You might also have to reduce the screen resolution if you pump the PC's video output to the TV.

6. BillyBob<>Smith

BillyBob<>Smith Auditioning

thanks for all the replies - you guys rock!

lastly - a lot of the movies I wanna playback on tv are dvd quality (or close to it). will they look as good played back on tv?

thanks again all,

billybob

7. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

Hey billybob, got some divx's i'm guessing? [​IMG] me too, here's what I do. I have an nvidia card, but they are all pretty similar. make sure your svideo or composite or component is hooked up to your tv, and your tv is set up to receive the signal, for me, it has to be on video input. Anywhere on the desktop, right-click and you will get that little menu thing happening. go to properties. then click on the settings tab, then the advanced button on the bottom. You should get another window with a whole bunch of tabs, one should be display or tv out or something like that. If you go to that, there should be a drop down menu or some radio buttons or something that say stuff like single display, clone, span horizontal, span vertical. click on clone and if it's an option anywhere, set your TV to be the primary display, or you won't be able to get the video to show up on the TV. Click OK, the screen should flash, and, with mine anyway, it drops down to a lower resolution, 640 x 480 or 800 x 600, and the screen appears the same on the tv as it does on the monitor. if it doesn't you'll have to set it down to at least 800 x 600.

I have an older TV with just composite input, but with the computer running divx, dvd, mpeg, etc, it looks as good from the computer as is does from the dvd player, depending on what the video looks like on the computer anyway, garbage in = garbage out. It won't look as good as it does on the computer monitor, not unless your tv is high def. just nature of the beast.