What do i need to make a small passive subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jul 17, 2001.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im wasn't 100% sure if this is the right place, but it is DIY so...
    Okay, Im planning to build myself a small subwoofer for my computer's sound system. So far, I got all my stuff from things i found at home... Old DPL Processor, powered computer speakers for mains, and some headphone speakers for surrounds... I am using my dad's Stereo's subwoofer (those Mini-systems) that come with 2 speakers and a sub, and powered by a small guitar amp with a speaker out.
    My dad's bugging me to give it back to him, so now i need a subwoofer.
    I want one thats relatively basic and cheap. What kind of speakers and components do i need? Any websites and tips to build the speaker enclosure? What speakers can I use? Will like a car audio system subwoofer work? I dont need super low bass, just a significant amount... Also, are there things that filter out the high frequencies so the speaker only plays the low bass (Crossover?), if so, where can I find those and what exactly are they called? The materials dont have to be name brand or anything really good... Just a very very simple one that wont cost me much and i can find at like Home Depot, Radio Shack and such...
    Thanks... Expect plenty of follow-up questions... [​IMG]
    -NickSo
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by NickSo on July 17, 2001 at 04:44 PM]

2. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

heh untill my tempest and supplies come in, im using a JL 12w3 in a car audio box powered by an old reciever. Its far from great but its not horrible.
    If your on a budget it might be easiest just to spend $50 on some computer speakers with a sub. Probably cheaper than the sum of the parts itd take to build one and might sound better as well.
    ------------------

3. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

Nick,
    I have a friend who owns two of these subs in is car & sounds awesome.
    [​IMG]
    There something like $39 american doller.
    This is the same woofer they use in the $590 ( CAN Dollers )
    Magnat Alpha 25A which my friend owns ( same friend who owns the car subs )
    We placed the coustic 10" woofer in the magnat cabinet & to our surprise it sounded the exact same.
    Anyways buy the woofer place it in 1.5 cubic foot sealed enlosure buy a cheap equlizer and it would make a great computer sub

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,
    Damn! I can't figure out if we're talking to Max, Eddie, Tyler, or the Easter Bunny! This is like trying to talk to Cybil! [​IMG]
    Brian
    ------------------