What do I need to listen to 24/96 encoded CD's or DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Would my Pioneer 414 be a good solution to start with? How to properly implement it? Thanks!

2. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

There is no such thing as a 24/94 CD. You may be confused with the 96/24 DVDs that preceeded the advent of DVD-Audio and SACD. These conform to the DVD-Video spec, and your Pioneer 414 has a 96/24 DAC that should make these discs sound quite good. The problem is that there are not many of these discs available. The ones I have heard sound stunning. (I have read that the "Seven" special edition has an audio track like this somewhere - not sure about that)
    However, to enjoy the full benefit of the 96/24 signal, your receiver must have an all-analog path for stereo signals, commonly known as an "analog bypass" mode. This is common on current receivers but was rare (but not unheard of) on receivers of the vintage of your DVD player.
    ------------------
    -JQJ
    [Edited last by James Q Jenkins on September 14, 2001 at 10:34 AM]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Seven:SE does have a 96/24 version of the Nine Inch Nails "Closer" mix during the opening sequence, and it DOES sound great. There is also a DTS-ES track on there, which sounds even better!
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)