What do I need to hook this up?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Spector, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Spector

Spector Stunt Coordinator

Ok so I had this really crappy Sony HTIB which had a dvd player/receiver combo and the speakers had a special type plug that plugged into the DVD Player. I ditched the DVD player and now have no speakers hooked up to my tv, even these low-low end HTIB speakers are 10x better than the stock speakers on my sony wega.

So I ask you - what do I need to hook these speakers up to my tv? I know I have to cut the ends off and probably replace the extremely cheap speaker wire they come with but what else? As far as I know this is what I need to setup

- A receiver, anything will do to power these, in which all 5 speakers and the Sub will plug into to get powered. Then I have component audio cables going from my receiver to my tv. Will my PS2/DVD Player ect also be plugged into the receiver?

Thanks for any help! Sorry I really don't know too much about this stuff and I'll continue searching around for answers to my simple questions. [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Spector.

Yes, you need a generic receiver to drive the speakers.

But- most receivers do not send powered signals to the subwoofer. They have a subwoofer output, but this is a line-level signal. They assume the subwoofer is self-powered. If your subwoofer has a power cord, you should be fine. There should be a RCA connector on the subwoofer for you to use to connect to the LFE/Subwoofer output on the receiver.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Spector

Thanks for the the help Bob and Drew.
    I actually had a receiver I could borrow, its a pretty cheap one but will get the job done until I can get a whole new setup. The only problem is, these speakers came from a HTIB setup and the Sub is not selfpowered, it plugs in just like a regular speaker. Obviously there is no "subwoofer" spot for it and the only port is Subwoofer out - this creates a problem. I was thinking, maybe I could plug it into a speaker port on an AMP, then run the amp to the Subwoofer Out port somehow? I don't know if that is possible.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

7. Spector

Ah ok, does it matter which speaker port I plug the sub into?

Also, can I use a regular component cable (w/ the red/white/yellow) and plug the red/white into the CD INputs on the amp and run either the red or white one into the the LFE/Subwoofer out?

Thanks!

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

9. Spector

This AMP has Spring clip terminals. There is a Right and Left and A and B, making 4 speaker inputs in total. There are buttons on the front to enable A or B speakers.

Since I wasn't using a Y-Adapter I am guessing that was the problem, I do have one around here though, i'll have to try that out.

Thanks