What's new

What do I need to hook this up? (1 Viewer)

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I had this really crappy Sony HTIB which had a dvd player/receiver combo and the speakers had a special type plug that plugged into the DVD Player. I ditched the DVD player and now have no speakers hooked up to my tv, even these low-low end HTIB speakers are 10x better than the stock speakers on my sony wega.

So I ask you - what do I need to hook these speakers up to my tv? I know I have to cut the ends off and probably replace the extremely cheap speaker wire they come with but what else? As far as I know this is what I need to setup

- A receiver, anything will do to power these, in which all 5 speakers and the Sub will plug into to get powered. Then I have component audio cables going from my receiver to my tv. Will my PS2/DVD Player ect also be plugged into the receiver?

Thanks for any help! Sorry I really don't know too much about this stuff and I'll continue searching around for answers to my simple questions. :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Spector.

Yes, you need a generic receiver to drive the speakers.

But- most receivers do not send powered signals to the subwoofer. They have a subwoofer output, but this is a line-level signal. They assume the subwoofer is self-powered. If your subwoofer has a power cord, you should be fine. There should be a RCA connector on the subwoofer for you to use to connect to the LFE/Subwoofer output on the receiver.

Will my PS2/DVD Player ect also be plugged into the receiver?
If you have enough inputs, send the video directly to the TV and the audio to the receiver. This tends to be the cheapest/easiest. (cheapest because you use less cables).

You CAN run video through a receiver. But there is a problem. There are 3 kinds of video connections. But the receiver will-not convert.

To use your receiver to switch video, you need to decide on one kind of connection (SVideo, Component) and standardize on this. Run the connections to the receiver, then 1 cable to the TV.

Be sure to check the receiver. Some receivers dont offer component-video switcing. Some do, but the video is NOT rated for progressive/HD video (but it will work). Also, most lower-end receivers only offer 2 component inputs. There are 3rd-party switch box's you can get for between $40-$150 that offer 4 inputs. This is a lot cheaper than spending $500 for a receiver that has HD component switching. Look in the "Receivers" fourm for "Inexpensive HD Video Switching" to find the thread.

Good Luck.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Also, most lower-end receivers only offer 2 component inputs. There are 3rd-party switch box's you can get for between $40-$150 that offer 4 inputs. This is a lot cheaper than spending $500 for a receiver that has HD component switching.
This is true, but I think that the $500 receiver would be better than a cheap receiver in many more ways than just more component inputs. But I guess you get what you pay for. Perhaps you should look into getting a receiver that will be adequate for your needs now (without blowing your budget...too much) but is good enough for your next set of speakers. I'm sure an upgrade is inevitable ;)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
This is true, but I think that the $500 receiver would be better than a cheap receiver in many more ways than just more component inputs.
True. But several months ago I found a Yamaha receiver that had 2 HD compatible component inputs was about $800. The cheapest receiver that offered 3 inputs was $2300 - a very large jump.

The external switch box is an option and I wanted Spector to know about it before he goes in and asks to see a receiver with 3 HD video inputs and gets "sticker shock". You can get some good receivers in the $400-$700 range that DONT have HD compatible component inputs, but the $150 switch box gives you the option.

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the the help Bob and Drew.
I actually had a receiver I could borrow, its a pretty cheap one but will get the job done until I can get a whole new setup. The only problem is, these speakers came from a HTIB setup and the Sub is not selfpowered, it plugs in just like a regular speaker. Obviously there is no "subwoofer" spot for it and the only port is Subwoofer out - this creates a problem. I was thinking, maybe I could plug it into a speaker port on an AMP, then run the amp to the Subwoofer Out port somehow? I don't know if that is possible.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking, maybe I could plug it into a speaker port on an AMP, then run the amp to the Subwoofer Out port somehow? I don't know if that is possible
This is exactly how to do it. Run the LFE/Subwoofer out to one of the CD-inputs on another receiver or amp. Then run speaker wires to the un-powered sub.

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Ah ok, does it matter which speaker port I plug the sub into?

Also, can I use a regular component cable (w/ the red/white/yellow) and plug the red/white into the CD INputs on the amp and run either the red or white one into the the LFE/Subwoofer out?

Thanks!

Iver

Second Unit
Also, can I use a regular component cable (w/ the red/white/yellow) and plug the red/white into the CD INputs on the amp and run either the red or white one into the the LFE/Subwoofer out?
You need to get a "Y" adaptor with a single RCA jack on one end and two RCA plugs on the other end (this might be called an RCA mono-to-stereo adaptor). Your red/white/yellow cable should be fine for the connection. Use the same color on each end with one plugged into your subwoofer/LFE out and the other plugged into the single jack on the adaptor. Attach the two plugs (it does not matter which goes into which input) to the CD inputs or whichever analog audio RCA input jacks you use on the subwoofer amp/receiver.

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
This AMP has Spring clip terminals. There is a Right and Left and A and B, making 4 speaker inputs in total. There are buttons on the front to enable A or B speakers.

Since I wasn't using a Y-Adapter I am guessing that was the problem, I do have one around here though, i'll have to try that out.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks