1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

What do I need to get DTS?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ben_Ly, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly Agent

I'm pretty new to this entire Home Theater business and I when I set up DTS on DVD's I don't get any sound. I guess my question is, does DTS only work if you have an optical cable hooked up. I have my DVD player (Sony DVP-NS715P) hooked up with regular RCA-Type plugs. Also, my TV is old as hell and can only be hooked up with the same thing. I know my receiver is new enough (Denon 3300) to handle DTS so I'm confused why I am not getting any sound through it. Any suggestions would help especially if there dumbed down a bit so a newbie can understand them.

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

You do not have to have a fiber optic cable to hear DTS. Maybe there is something wrong with the receiver?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly Agent

Thanks, that may be the case. Stereo RCA's that is. I just have whatever I had laying around the house to hook them up. I was planning on going out and buying some better cables anyway and it looks like I'll have an excuse now. I'll try it and let you know

6. Jason Monette

Jason Monette Second Unit

Also check that your DVD player is sending the DTS Bitstream in the menu. Most DVD players come with the turned off, you will need to turn it on to be able to hear DTS.

Don't worry, it might sound like a lot to do just to get DTS, but it is worth it :b

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

We're gettin' there:

• Connect your DVD player to the receiver with either a coax or optical cable (and make sure you assign the correct input in the receiver's setup menu — i.e., "Optical 1," "Coaxial 1," etc.).

• Go into your DVD player's audio-setup menu and enable "Bitstream," or if the menu lists its thusly, "DTS" (as well as Dolby Digital).

• If your receiver has an auto-detect for whichever type of signal — Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro-Logic II, and whatever other surround formats it can process — select that.

• When you're playing a DVD that offers both DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks, make sure you select "DTS" in the disc's audio-setup menu.

• Reread your owner's manuals for both the receiver and the player to check your work.

• Sit back, enjoy.

8. hitendra

hitendra Extra

Also, check the DVD you are playing - not all DVD support DTS.