what do I need to edit video on a new PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I'm about to get a new computer and want to edit videos. I used to have a 166 with a 4 gig SCSI external drive and a firewire caputre card (to go with the firewire mini DV camera) but that was ages ago. I've still got the drive and card, but how about a newer, bigger hard drive. Do you still need SCSI speeds, like my old one? Quality matters. What the hot new software. I used to use Adobe Premier 4.2.

jeremy

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I read that the new 7,200 RPM or even 5,400 rpm drives are subsantial enough for video editing... [​IMG]
    You were able to run adobe premier on a 166? i have a 166 as well.. hmm... where did you find version 4.2???

3. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

For home videos I use a Pinnacle Studio DV. My pc has 1.0G Athlon, 256DDR, 20GB HDD (5400rpm), and use a Panasonic PVDV400(?) DV camera. My first delve in video editing outside a prod. studio and the experience has been really smoothe for me. Studio DV is feature rich for home video for $99, circa 2000. I wonder how much more I'd get in the $200-400 range. Goo luck!

4. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

Nick

4.2 came with the rest of the hardware in a package. I used a friend's 5.0 but it was a bit buggy, especially when it came to sound editing. Anybody know a good PC video forum? Sadly I had to downgrade to a 133 and it doesn't work together.

jeremy