What's new

What do I need to drive my HT (1 Viewer)

I have B&W Nautilus series as my HT that includes 804s as front, 805s as rear, HTM-1 center and ASW-800 sub.

Currently, I am using Marantz Receiver SR7300 to drives these but my dealer told me that I should look at upgrading receiver or adding an amplifier to get better results.

Any ideas which amp will be better for this setup ? My budget is around $1500 but can stretch to $2000.

Thanks for taking time to read my post and your replies.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
Rotel RMB-1075 or RMB-1095 are very nice amps. RMB-1075 gives 120 wpc. You can always upgrade to a separate prepro at a later stage if you want. Amplifiers usually last a while and donot outdate as comapred to other components.
Audiogon is a good place to look for amps at a very good price. Used amps are always a good deal.

How does Rotel RMB 1095 compare with these :

Aragon 2007
Earthquake CineNova Grande 5
Sunfire Cinema Grand

All of these give 200W on all 5-channels at 8 ohms. One more thing, I am more like a brand name person (thats why everything B&W!), which is better know brand name among these. I will appreciate you sharing your experience if you have used these any of these amps with B&W 804s.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
Then I will choose Sunfire Cinema grand. If you want more expensive brand then look for krell, lexicon, macintosh!!!

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Once you purchase one of these amps, I assume your receiver will be the weakest link. Then it will be your dvd player. Then it will be your cabling. Your dealer sounds like a lucky man...

...but seriously. What's lacking in your current set-up? I think everyone would agree that your B&W speakers are a league up in stature vs. your receiver. But that receiver should be putting out enough wattage to drive the speakers.

All of the amps you mentioned are outside of your budget:
*Cinenova Grande 5 MSRP $4,499.00
*Aragon 2007 MSRP $3,000? But this is a 7-channel amp, you only have 5 speakers. Wouldn't you be better off with a 2005, which has an MSRP of $2,500
*Sunfire Cinema Grand (200 five?) MSRP $2,800

Girish's recommendation will come in within your budget.
*RMB-1095 has an MSRP of $2000.

And the Outlaw 755 is the only 200WPC 5-channel amp that I know of which will come in under your "preferred" budget at $1,300.

What are you looking to do? What do you think is lacking in your current set-up? If your dealer is the one who sold you the B&W's and is hoping to sell you the amps, he should let you take some amps home and demo them.

I agree with both, Scott & Girish. Acually, after reading several reviews, I raised my budget between $2000-$2500. I am narrowing down to following (in order of preference):

- Sunfire Cinema Grand 200~5 or ~7 $2300 - 2500 range
- B&K Components Reference 200.7 $2300 - 2500 range
- Anthem Statement A5 $2300 - 2500 range
- Rotel 1095 $1800 - 2000 range

7-channels, gives me an option to use 2 channels in 2nd zone. With Rotel & Anthem, I will have to add another 2-channel amp later on. I am planning to buy my amp off internet not from any dealers that saves me lots of money.

Girish & Scott, what's your opinion about these 4-amps in terms of quality and brand name recognition ? Prices are well within my budget and I wont mind 5+2 combination either.

Girish, BTW.... Krel, Lexicon or McIntosh will have to wait till I win a Powerball Lotto ;)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
Rajiv,
Honestly(I may be wrong), an amp is an amp and when its not a cheap one it is all personal preference. My friend has the sunfire and its wonderful both in terms of looks and performance. A lot of people match B&ws with Rotel. I recently relaced my HK 2.1 signature with a proceed and have not been able to make an appreciable difference in sound quality.
There are a a couple of Sunfires and Rotels on audiogon. Let the lower price make the decision for you!!!
Also its the next upgrade not the powerball which will bring krell, lexicon. Its always the hard earned money down the drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks