What do I need to create my own 16:9 DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rbirk, Jan 6, 2002.

1. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered a new motherboard, cpu and memory (Soyo Dragon Plus, Athlon 1800 and 512 MB) and got curious getting into the "movie business", okay, home movie business... Anyway, the end goal is to create a 16:9 DVD.

The first thing is a camcorder and I looked at the new Sony PC115 and PC120. They claim to have 16:9 mode but I assume they just mask the top and bottom and then stretch the image to fit a 4x3 frame? If that is so I would need an anamorphic lense to the camcorder instead in order to take advantage of the cameras full resolution. What do they cost?

Then I need a DVD+RW (e.g. Sony or HP). They claim these discs will play on most DVD players? Has anyone tested this?

Next step would be to get something like Pinnacle DV500 Plus for the computer. Will that cover the rest and also support 16:9 mode (both reading from the DV source and later create the DVD)? Any other solutions I should consider?

Anything else I need to think about or forgot? Anyone with any experience with this at all?

One thing that I am worried about is that it seems the DV500 version you buy in US only supports NTSC. Is there a place you can buy a non-US version in US? I would really like the PAL support as I will probably move back to Sweden in the future.

Ron Birk

2. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I forgot one thing. It would be nice if you can also create an AVI file or similar so you can play the movie on the computer as well. Can the DV500 solution create that (and also in 16:9 mode)?

Also, when creating the DVD will the software support DVD menus, chapters, time encoding (so you see remaining time)etc or do I need something additional?

Last thing for now, do I need anything extra in order to connect the camcorder to the PC (like a firewire card)?

Ron Birk

3. Chris Wittry

Chris Wittry Stunt Coordinator

I have recently entered the world of DV and bought a JVC GRDVP3U camcorder that does 16:9 and also Adobe Premiere 6 for editing the video. I do the input through a Firewire card and everything seems to be going well. I've read reviews about the DV500 and it sounds like a good package (if you don't already have software). Also, Premiere supports both NTSC and PAL. I'm just getting started, so I can't offer to much info for you. [​IMG]

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

My brother-in-law just got a DV500+. Neat package, Premiere 6, HFX copper, breakout box, firewire cable, etc. Basically, all u need is the PC and ur video and ur good to go.