What's new

What do I need to build my own sub? (1 Viewer)

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, 3/4" MDF is probably the norm which I know. I made my Car Sub box using that.

So I got t he 3/4" MDF for the Box

Then I need the actual Driver

Then I'd like a plate type amp.

IS that it? Piece of cake. Schools out in a week and this is the perfect project for the xmas holidays.

OK, I know I posted about a sub in another thread and I think for under 300 bucks I can make a killer one.

I want a sub in a 10" or 12" range.

My room size is around 12W X 22L. Ceiling is normal height.

I want an overall GOOD TIGHT BASS. No Boominess.

Give me your recomendations on the plate amp and driver.

Remember, I want to keep this under 300, >250 would be GREAT.

Oh I'd like to have in the 20-23hz range

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Well, I was recommended the Dayton 12" DVC driver with a Parts Express 250W amplifier in a 30L sealed enclosure. The driver and amp came to $250, and if you already have the MDF this should meet your cost requirements. Bear in mind, I haven't built it yet (just ordered parts today) so I have no idea what it sounds like, but several others here have similar setups that they have been pleased with. Might be worth a shot.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I too, am about to begin building my sub enclosure over X-mas break, but I will be using the PE 250 watt amp w/remote and a Adire Shiva + 1 Adire Passive Radiator. Adire's website provides the exact dimensions of all parts of the box I will be building so it should be a piece of cake when I get around to it. I think I may be building the 142.5L EBS design, as it goes extremely low, but I may build one of the smaller ones, just because of size!
Oh yeah, don't forget about the stuff you need to make the looks of the box pretty, such as veneer, stain, or paint.
But let us know how it comes along over the break, I sure will!
Best of luck! :)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Don't forget internal and external wiring, paint or veneer, & glue & screws to hold it together. You'll also want some caulk to seal the internal seams...

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Actually to seal the internal seems I'd use Wood Glue. have any of you ever seen how stong that sh*t is. LOL Forget caulking.

With the box i made for my Car subs I sealed them with woodglue and actually put a little dab of wood glue in my pre-drill holes. Hell even sticks of Dynamite wouldnt blow that box apart LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks