what do i need for hdtv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky c, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I all ready have the tv a panasonic ct36hx40.What will i need to be able to see hd programing including local hd or ota.I'm new at this.What do you think i would be dishing out price wise to get it going.I have AT&T broadband now but present dicount subscription is over in Nov.
    thanks in advance

2. Jim Benard

Jim Benard Stunt Coordinator

For starters you will need a good VHF/UHF outdoor antenna for local channels. Also checkout the A/C booster units that go between the coax outdoor antenna and your TV. Channel master makes a good one. Check your local home depot, etc.
    Next you will need a receiver like the Dish 6000 with the built-in OTA tuner card and the dish pointing to their HD satellite. You can install the setup yourself, it's not hard. You don't need to subscribe to their main channels, I just get HBO and Showtime HD. Because I don't get the bulk channels, I had to pay for the unit and dish myself. It cost me around 600-700 total for all the equipment.
    Direct TV has the same type of service.

3. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

>>>You don't need to subscribe to their main channels, I just get HBO and Showtime HD.

4. Jim Benard

With tax it comes out to about $26 per month. Well worth it to see HD movies.
    ------------------

5. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I am also new to the hdtv area.....
    Will the ota antenna that I am using now receive the high defintion signals? I don't have a hdtv yet, but "if" all of the signals were high defintion, would my present tv still be able to display the local channels?

6. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

RCA is make high definition tv's that have a built in DirectTv receiver - would this set work with Dish programming?

7. Tom_F

Tom_F Auditioning

The FIRST thing that you need to do to in order to get local/OTA HD is to make sure that your local stations are broadcasting in HD. If they aren't, they this is a moot question. If they are, then you will need an ordinary UHF antenna to receive OTA HD signals.
    Besides OTA HD reception, your choices are cable (if HD cable is available in your area), DirecTV, and Dish. Both offer a HBO HD channel. Dish aso offers Showtime HD. DirecTV, as of tomorrow, offers HDNet, with some MLB broadcasts in September, and 16 hours of HD programming daily in October.
    Regardless of what HD sources you may have, you will need a HD receiver, even for the OTA HD. Your choice of satellite provider will dictate your choices for a HD receiver.

8. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Is it possible - using the same ota signal - for some tv's to be high definiton & others not. Here's why- presently I have ota signal that goes into a channel combiner along with satellite signal, then run thru a splitter that feeds other tv's in other rooms. If I change some of my tv's to high defintion capable, and leave others as they are, will this cause a problem......

9. Jim Benard

Not sure on this question. My Dish 6000 has a button that switches the signal (for the entire receiver unit) from HD to SD (standard definition). If the Reciever is in HD mode I doubt you can use your splitter to receive the analog signals for your non-hd tv's but I haven't tried that type of setup.
    ------------------

10. Tom_F

Tom_F Auditioning

Brad, I don't know why not, at least if I understand your question correctly.
    A HDTV signal is just a UHF signal. If you have a UHF antenna and split the signal between a non-HDTV and a HDTV, the non-HDTV will just display the UHF channels it can receive and the HDTV will display the digital UHF signals it can receive, as well as the regular UHF signals if you want it to.

11. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

"Is it possible - using the same ota signal - for some tv's to be high definiton & others not. Here's why- presently I have ota signal that goes into a channel combiner along with satellite signal, then run thru a splitter that feeds other tv's in other rooms. If I change some of my tv's to high defintion capable, and leave others as they are, will this cause a problem......"
    The antenna you are using should have the ability to pick up both standard and digital broadcasts. Of course there are variables like the type of antenna, location of the various transmitting towers, strength of signal, etc. It doesn't matter what or how many TVs you send the signals to because the TV tuner or set top box will decode and display the applicable signals. The non Digital / HD ready TVs will just not be able to display Digital signals.
    "RCA is make high definition tv's that have a built in DirectTv receiver - would this set work with Dish programming?"
    No, only DirecTV programming.
    "I am also new to the hdtv area.....
    Will the ota antenna that I am using now receive the high defintion signals? I don't have a hdtv yet, but "if" all of the signals were high defintion, would my present tv still be able to display the local channels?"
    Maybe, it depends what kind of antenna you have & if your local affiliates are broadcasts in digital. The digital broadcasts are separate from the analog broadcasts so your current tv will still be able to display the local analog channels.
    "A HDTV signal is just a UHF signal. "
    Not necessarily, our local NBC affiliate is broadcasting its digital transmission on channel 10 which is VHF. The other three are broadcasting in the UHF range (14+) which forces all of us to get a VHF/UHF antenna or two separate ones [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Brian Mello on September 06, 2001 at 01:49 PM]

12. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

My ota antenna supposedly will receive vhf, uhf & fm signals. Will this be suffecient for high definiton or is this something else I will have to change????????