What do I need for HDTV?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Scott>G, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Scott>G

Scott>G Agent

Hello all,

I am going to be purchasing a new TV,Sony KV-32HS510 , that is HDTV ready and need to know what I need to get started.

I do have Direct TV, but don't plan on using them for it.
    I have the ELT Speakers and the HK AVR 325.

I plan on buying an "in the house" antenna since I should be able to pick up the channels from NYC no problem. Do I need to purchase an HDTV box to decode the single so my I can watch it? If so, can anyone make a recommendation as to what I should purchase?

Thanks,

Scott

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

yes, you will need to purchase a decoder. You have two options: you can get an HD tuner that will go with your TV that will only tune over the air stations. Don't know what these cost...but they aren't cheap. OR...and I know you said you don't PLAN on using directv to get HD but you may want to reconsider. ALL directv HD boxes can also decode OTA HD. I would recommend you look into at getting one of these. Then if you decide to get HD from directv, you already have the box. If you get a stand-alone box you'll have 2boxes instead of just one.

3. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

he needs a dish too, right?

4. Scott>G

Scott>G Agent

Yes, I would need a new dish, and box. Total cost 299.00 for all the equipment and then like 10 bucks more a month. That is why I was trying to get around using direct tv. I love the service. Just don't want to pay more.