What's new

What do I need for DTS sound? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've been a HTF member and DVD enthusiast for a long time, but the hardware side of things has always been a little over my head, especially when it comes to the audio portion of home theater.

My question is about DTS soundtracks. Am I correct in thinking that any DVD payer with coaxial or optical digital output is able to output a DTS soundtrack? You'll need a receiver to decode it, of course, but as far as the DVD player itself goes, that digital output is all that is necessary, right?

The particular player I'm thinking about is the Philips DVP642.

Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
That's pretty much it................ :)
To listen to the dts soundtrack in a movie, set the receiver to "Digital Auto", and then you have to choose the dts track in the movie's menus, under "setup" or "languages". The DD tracks will usually try to play by default. So few movies have a dts track. That's why you have to choose it.............

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I cannot see from the owner's manual if this unit has DTS output. It usually will have a DTS logo on the front if it does.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your player is capable of a DTS stream, you will also need to go into the player's setup menu (not the one on the DVD) for digital audio settings and make sure it is turned on, as well as set to "bitstream". If you go into the setup menu and there is no DTS setting, the player most likely will not pass the stream.

You have to select DTS on movies, as well as the fact that it is turned off on the majority of DVD players, because not all receivers were capable of decoding a DTS stream. If you send a DTS stream to a receiver that cannot decode it, it will result in white noise (static) that could easily damage the speakers. If you try it out, just make sure you turn the receiver down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks