What's new

What do I feed my sturgeon? (1 Viewer)

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I have a pond, and I just got this sturgeon.
Its a fish that never comes up to surface,
what do I feed this little creature?
The problem is, my Kois are eating everything I throw in the pond so fast, Im afraid he wont get anything to eat....
I want him to grow real big, fast!!
I read that they can get up to 1 meter!
But problably not in my small pond.
Any ideas?
And dont tell me I can give him my dog!!
NOWAY!:D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
sturgeon? what kind? if it's like the kind that live in the columbia river it's a bottom feeder and will eat anything that's dead, feed it like a catfish maybe?

I didn't know people kept sturgeon in ponds!

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
nt know what kind, only that its a bottom feeder!
But what do I feed him?
Most fish food stays at the water surface..
Anything thats dead!:D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I don't really know much about them, the only experience I've had is fishing for them :)
do they sell catfish food? They'd probably eat that, or any kind of dead bait fish. The ones that live in the large rivers out here can get to much larger than one meter, we caught a few, it takes several people to reel them up to the boat, it's quite a workout :D catch and release only of course, the ones that large are incredibly old.
have you got a photo of him? I'm kind of curious

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Sinking pellets, depending on their diet (I have no idea) they make algae pellets for more of the vegetarian kinds of fish and you can even rig up a large straw or a stiff hose that you can use to drop them in. Eventually the pellets will get soaked and sink into the tube and then make their way down. I used to feed some catfish this way to keep my angelfish from getting them all the time.

Jay

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Shrimp? That's what we used fishing for 'em and they really seemed to like that.
I really get the impression they'll eat anything that sinks to the bottom LoL

did you catch any you could keep? I hear they're good to eat but we were fishing for oversize and couldn't keep any.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
did you catch any you could keep?
Yep! There were 4 of us and we each caught one (the daily limit). We even caught one extra that we gave to a neighboring boat that wasn't having as much luck as we were. And as chance would have it, it was the biggest one. (It was easier to give away because it was a real fighter. We never even pulled it into our boat. Just kind of guided it over to the other boat and they netted it.)

That was the one and only time I've ever gone sturgeon fishing. I'm used to trout fishing in streams and I was very impressed by how much bigger fish can fight! We had it smoked and packaged. It did taste pretty good.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Thanks guys!
Philip G:
Thanks for the links, they were great!
Heres a picture of how my sturgeon looks like.
sterlet.jpg

I noticed that he eats Blood worms, the problem I have is that my Kois are so fast eating up the Blood worms before the sturgeon gets anything.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Bill- sounds cool! on th Columbia river in OR/WA they have the huge guys, we caught a bunch of them, but couldn't keep any. One other time we fished for keepers but only got one and he was too small.

Jens- Maybe take a bit of PVC pipe and drop some bloodworms in that so they can sink to the bottom and the koi can't eat them? maybe once on the bottom the koi won't find or eat them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks