What do I do about someone who won't for auto repairs?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Cameron Yee, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Someone scraped up my bumper a few weeks ago and the damage is minor but she said she would take care of it. I got an estimate from a repair shop and it is $425 to fix. Her insurance agent mentioned she might choose to pay for it herself, which leads me to believe her deductible is $500 or over. Well, two weeks later and there is still no response. I called her agent and he said he hadn't heard from her. So worst case scenario is she won't pay. What do I do then?

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

The insurance company should pay no matter what even if they have no contact from her. I have had something similar happen twice and their insurance company paid even after their failed attempts at contacting the insured.

3. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I have had a minor fender-bender before, in which someone hit me from behind.

I didnt have to get involved at all, my insurance company did all the work at getting her insurance to pay. This was in Michigan, I am sure it varies by state.

And I dont think deductible's have anything bearing on this. Her deductible is only for damage to her own car. If your car is damaged, and it was her fault (might need a police report, i am not sure), then her insurance should pay your damages.

In my case, the woman who hit me was ticketed, so maybe that helped me.

When I got my car repaired it cost $500. I didnt have to pay it out of pocket, the insurance company had a deal with the garage so the bill went directly to them.

But, it was returned with still some minor damage to the rear bumper. I took it back it they charged the other ladies insurance again, to cover the additional $200 it cost to fix correctly.

Good luck

Jeff

4. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Hmm...

The damage to her vehicle was worse. There were a lot of people around, but we didn't get any witness info (hope this doesn't bite me in the butt). Thing is I was sitting and eating my lunch and she came and found me and asked for help trying to get unwedged from my bumper. I haven't contacted my agent yet (we both have Farmer's Insurance) but maybe I should to get another voice on the phone.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

This is even easier then. All you have to do is call the insurance company (not even your agent) and file a copmlaint for repair. It is then their job to contact the insured. If they cannot, they will then pay for your repairs. Very simple. You can certainly contact your agent - they might be able to get it going faster for you.

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

You definitely want to contact your own agent and explain the situation; he and your insurance company will duke it out with other agent and insurance company. You do not, unless worse comes to worse, want to make a claim under your policy - that will be considered a mark against you.

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I called my agent and he advised contacting her directly if I want to give her a chance to pay for it herself and not get the strike on her record (which she may have already if she's getting her car repaired). If not I can just call their claim line and explain the circumstances of the incident (e.g. in a parking lot, not in the car). I kind of feel like she's had her chance to respond already, so I'll probably give it until week's end, then file a claim. My agent suggested I just get the other agent out of the mix.

8. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

After it's all straightened out and your car is fixed...find yourself another insurance agent. Yours sounds like a lazy SOB.

Mort