What do I do about my halogen lamp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertR, Jul 22, 2002.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Some time ago I tried using an X-10 lamp module on a halogen torch lamp. Big mistake. Ever since I did that, the lamp acts flaky. It won't maintain its brightness, lighting up and dimming at random. I just went to Home Depot to buy another one, and they told me they're not made anymore (fire hazard)! Is there anything I can do to fix the lamp I have?

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I'm not sure about fixing your existing lamp but I can offer advice on buying a new one. The guy at Home Depot only had half the story. The kind you (probably) have aren't made any more, no. But they do still make that style of lamp. I bought one not long ago and it uses a flourescent "cool" bulb. No fire hazard if it doesn't get hot. I picked mine up at Target for about $40.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Thanks Leila. I'll check it out.

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Check another store. Halogen lamps haven't been outlawed, but I think safety restrictions were put in place for them. Mine has a guard that prevents curtains or other fabric from coming in contact with the bulb, as well as a switch on the base that automatically turns off the lamp if it's tipped over. I should also note that I've found Home Depot to have a pretty weak selection of halogen torchiere lamps in the past.

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Thanks Mike. I'll check the phone book.