What do do with old LP's ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff morris, Aug 7, 2002.

1. jeff morris

jeff morris Agent

I've got a few hundred albums collecting dust in my basement.
    Any idea as to what the current worth of vinyl is these days? I've heard stories of 10 cents per album.

I've already removed only a few that I know are worth anything, as to the rest.....

thanks!

2. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

They are worthless. Send them all me :)

Really though take a look at some of your titles on eBay. It really comes down to what someone wants to pay. I normally buy my records from Half Price books for 0.50. However I recently picked up Led Zep 1 and 2, Japan Pressing, unopened, never been played for $17.00 each.

Laters,
    Jeff

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I probably sold off a 1000 or so in my switch to CD. Still have 800 or so LP's, either for sentimental reasons (cover art, "passages"), or good stuff not yet or not likely to go to CD. (Just reinstalled a turntable too!)

I found second dealers getting less and less interested in paying for vinyl in recent 2-3 years, but they'd sometimes offer some trade in value on cds I could find in their stores.

My last sell-off was a mistake - 50 or so exotica, lounge, or easy lstening albums that I got $50 bucks for. Wanted one of the titles back a year later, went back to the store, the dealer said if it was still in his stock, I could have it back for free. Right, it was gone, so sad!

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

There was a point when they were worth something, but that's pretty much gone now. There are still some exceptions, and if you have some rareties then they'll still fetch a decent price from collectors, but otherwise they're just not worth anything.

If you're lookng for something to do with the albums though, my dad actually took and mounted some of the better covers and hung them in the basement. There are some really great album covers out there, and some of them make for good wall art (Like the cover for Cheap Thrills by Big Brother and the Holding Company).

5. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Ironically, I'll bet your LPs will still be playable 50 years from now. Can't really say the same thing for your CDs. Their glue will degrade and any damage to part of a CD will result in almost total unreadability on any part of it. Even a scratched or even fractured LP will still play, clicks notwithstanding.

Some vinyl is still worth something. The Beatles butcher cover value still goes up.

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Anthony, I agree. If someone would make and sell well-made victrolas that could handle 33 1/3s, I'd buy one, and still be able to play some of those LPs after the CD's have rotted, and the power lines are down!
    [​IMG]

7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I still have 200+ albums sitting in my closet. All of them have protective plastic sleeves on them. I haven't played any of them in 10 years. I'd rather keep them then sell them for $.50 a piece.

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Keep them! Unless you absolutely have to get rid of them. If you can't, then sell them. Whatever you do, don't throw them away.

Someday even the most arbitrary LPs will be sought after.

When the current generation that grew up in a bath of digital everything gets older, there will be a huge fad for anything old and analog. Even now, nobody wants to give up tube amplifiers and I doubt they ever will, even if solid state one day totally surpasses them.

9. Isaac K

Isaac K Stunt Coordinator

I would say to either:
    1) Keep them
    or
    2) Sell the whole lot to a collector

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My suggestion would be to buy a turntable and play the darn things!! [​IMG] Or at least the ones you never got on CD.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Listen to them on a good analog rig. They will more than likely sound better than your CDs.

12. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Agreed. As of late, I've been really getting back into vinyl for the first time in about 20 years. I've come to realize that many of my LPs sound better than some of my CDs. Now I go to used record stores instead of CD shops to hunt down old music.

13. George See

George See Second Unit

My feeling is that Albums that were recorded with Vinyl in mind when they were made sound better on vinyl than A CD version of the same album, but modern albums recorded with a digital format in mind tend to sound better on CD...just my opinion maybee it's all in my head.

14. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

Just send all your old vinyl to me. I'll pay for all the shipping [​IMG].
    -Mike...

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

16. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I have several thousands of records. Many I bought dirt cheap or were given to me. When I come accross one that doesn't play well they go in my craft pile. I take 5 to 7 records and glue them to gether with contact cement, and then spray them with polyprolene. I like a famous title on top. They make intresting costers. You can glue or screw an ashtray on to them too. I've put trash on them like party damage stuff like: pop tops, matches, incense, a cup, bits of twinkies, a beer can, ashes and then sprayed the clear plastic over that.

Another thing I've considered is making a table for my record player using three stacks of records for legs. It would be heavy! I get the castoffs from two local record stores when I want them. They were going to trash them anyway. I've considered getting small clocks and using either or both 7" and 12" records for the face.

I wouldn't trash good records becuse I like playing them! I'm just trying to think of ways to recycle rough ones.

17. mike_decock

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Or how about some brand new black "vinyl siding" for your house. [​IMG]

19. ryan davis

ryan davis Stunt Coordinator

Get rid of your records? I still buy around 20 records a month [​IMG] Keep the things, records are so much more fun than cd's, and most sound better to boot (IMO, of course).

20. mike_decock