What's new

What do do when selling my car? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

as i live in CA, here is the link from the dmv.ca.gov site:

How to change vehicle ownership

so, i know what the official policy is, but i was wondering if you had any other suggestions that i should follow?

the car is in fair shape (could use body work and minor engine work).

obviously i'm only accepting cash and i do want the buyer to be aware that i'm selling the car "as is".

so, is there anything else i should do? any other steps i should take?

thx in advance,

ted

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Make sure you have the buyer sign a purchasing agreement that specifically states the conditions of the sale, including that the vehicle is sold "as is" with no warranties. Include the car make/model, year, VIN, odometer reading and selling price, as well.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Make sure you have the buyer sign a purchasing agreement that specifically states the conditions of the sale, including that the vehicle is sold "as is" with no warranties. Include the car make/model, year, VIN, odometer reading and selling price, as well.
Usually your Title will have all of this on the backside where you are signing it over. Most will have boxes to fill in exact mileage and if there has been an engine replacement or a mileage cable that was broken you can check a box to declare that. Make damn sure you check the box on the back of the title that states sold "AS IS". It depends how trusting you are but you can accept checks just meet the person at his or her bank to do the transaction. When they give you the check you can go inside and cash the check. If the check isnt good it will bounce and you dont sign over the title but if it does then you can sign the car over immediately and inside the bank is a pretty safe place for the transaction to happen at.

KyleS

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
It depends how trusting you are but you can accept checks...
that's a pretty good idea, but i'm definitely not that trusting. :)

heck, i'm not even willing to meet the people at my home. i'm going to meet them at a busy grocery store parking lot instead. i'm still working out how to let them test-drive it. this is actually my girlfriend's car, but i absolutely refuse to let her go along for any test drives with strangers.

i may just take the darn thing to car-max, but i doubt they'll give us a good deal, but it may be worth the convenience.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks bill!

believe it or not, i actually ended up selling the car to CarMax! they offered exactly what we thought the car was worth! plus, no hassles with dealing with private parties, etc.

if anyone is thinking about selling their car, i highly recommend they at least go to carmax and let them give you a guesstimate.

woo-hoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks