What do "bright" and "warm" mean?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan Belina, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Dan Belina

Dan Belina Agent

I've been auditioning speakers recently, and also reading reviews, and I hear these terms used when describing a speaker...what exactly do "bright" and "warm" mean in that context?

I don't know if its just me, or the speakers I've heard so far, but I haven't been able to qualify a sound as bright or warm yet (maybe this just means they've all been neutral sounding to me).

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Might try a search for this one. It has been covered plenty. [​IMG]

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think the best way to explain it is to describe the sound as I hear it. Bright to me describes the highs in the speaker sound. If it sounds scratch or loud with mininal bass then that can be described as bright. Think of it like a light bulb. A very bright light can't really be looked at and therefore causes you to squint your eyes. Speakers and receivers work with the same concept with your ears. High raspy (spelling) or high mids may be identified as bright sound. Warm same concept, listening to speakers you here a soothing blend of high, mids and lows and it sounds like it all compliment each other. Some think that warm sounding speakers and receivers don't give great detail and may even sound muffled. But warm sounding speakers can be very nice even at high volumes. I like warm sounding equipment, Harmon Kardon, Polk Audio, JBL, Paradigm I think are warm sounding equipment and Onkyo, Klipsh and Bose I find to be a bit bright for my taste. Again that's my .02 on it, hope it helps.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

One must temper that by considering the room/speaker interactions as being a signficant contributor to the perceived performance of what you're listening to. Try to get the speakers into your own room for an evaluation. Money back and all that, right?

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Neither "warm" nor "bright" are necessarily negative attributes when done properly, BTW. "Bright" is wonderful when done correctly.

Nor are either of these attributes mutually exclusive. They're not opposites.

Yes, believe it or not, a speaker can be both "bright" AND "warm". [​IMG]

6. KenWA

KenWA Agent

Hi!

Check out the following link for a huge glossary of subjective (and arguably some objective) audio terms, including the terms "bright" and "warm".

www(.)integracoustics(.)com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html