What's new

What DIY speakers do you have for Ht and why? (1 Viewer)

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the long process of deciding on which kit to build to start my HT. I have built a Shiva 54l sealed which is going to be Darman clone later this summer!
I have Athenas as my centre and surrounds and Sound Dynamics as my fronts,these will go to another system after I complete my "new" fronts.
I am looking for the fronts as being a match to a future center channel as well.(next spring with cabinet being built this summer)
Here is what I am considering so far:
-Spires by CSS
-AV-1 or -3 if a -2 size cabinet can be used for the -3.
-Audax HT fronts @ Solen.ca

I'm curious to know what others are running and why they chose them...

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
When I first started researching for a diy speaker, I ran across many. I wanted something I could get parts from here in Canada; like Solens. I stumbled across the ARdiy's by Ed Frias. The parts were available from Solens and the price was reasonable. I made my first pair. I was afraid to hook them up; not knowing what they would sound like. Well I was extremely pleased with what I heard. I quickly became very proud of demoing them to family and friends. I eventually ended building another 2 dozen of these speakers for family, they loved the sound.
Being as I like to build things; I ended up redesigning the shape of the cabinet (still using the specified internal volumes) for a complete set for my HT. I also ended up building a few Tempest Octagon subs. The complete package sounds great for HT and I love the sound for my music. SACD in multichannel surround is superb.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...&postid=274605
Here are the accompanying surrounds:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...&postid=274615

Closer view of the front mains:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...&postid=274619

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Beautiful!

Those were so impressive I got sidetracked. I was using PSB Image series speakers all around but I recently started building GR AV-3 for the front array. I have only been able to complete the AV3-s center and I am more than impressed. The clarity of the AV3 is remarkable in comparison to the PSBs. I have also A/B the GR with my cousins ADS mains and Sonus Faber bookshelves and they still impress me. The sound is completely open and realistic.

The great thing about DIY is that you can afford to build a few sets just to see what you like. I would not hesitate to build the AV3's. I can't wait to complete my full set.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have just completed my AV-3s for use as a center. Every once and a while I get a sort of sibilance (metallic fuzziness) on female voices, otherwise it sounds great. Better than expected. Did you experience the same? I was thinking that it was due to the fact that the speaker is not broken in yet. I have maybe 40 hrs. I have also not yet tried it with a full on demo with a choice DVD.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I never get tired of looking at Michael's speakers.

Currently... I have a set of Georgia Tech 2-ways acting as my mains. Why? Because they were my first DIY speakers and I haven't had the heart to part with them.

For a sub, I have my 85 Liter Shiva. Why? I dunno... the Shiva Mk I was the driver to have when I built it.

I'm too embarassed to type this in full sized text: For my surrounds, I have some super cheap KLH full range speakers. They are crap! These date back to when I had my old prologic reciever.

Someday... when I bring my HT out of the "industrial-minimalist-hodge-podge" look that it's in at the moment (new house), I'd like to make a full set of matching speaks.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I don't have a home theater but I am real happy using Adire Kit281s for music, and everyone says they are better for movies. :) (See Mike Knapp's page.)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Im using vented 281s for the mains and a LCC for the center. I love em. I also have a vented Adire alignment Tempest. I love that too. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
Yes,that is what I mean.:)
What kind of impedance would that kind of wiring be? 4 or 8 ohm or even 16 ohm? Seems like, the way you have it wired, that it would be 16 ohms...
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks