What distance should surround speakers be set at?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 29, 2001.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I barely hear them at all, what distance should they normally be?

2. Myram

Myram Second Unit

You need to measure the distance from the spot where you watch your movies.....the "sweet spot"......to the front of the speaker. That will determine the delay for each channel. Then you need to get a Radio Shack SPL meter and calibrate all your speakers to 75db using your receiver's test tones, or get the AVIA disc and calibrate to 85db using it. So either way, your first step is to get a Radio Shack Analog SPL meter for like $40.

This is the only way to do it....doing it by ear just won't work.

3. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I assume you're talking about the distance setting on your receiver. This is used for timing computations -- if the surround speakers are closer to the listeners than the main speakers (common) then the distance will slightly delay the sound coming from the surrounds so that everything arrives at once. It does not adjust the volume of the surrounds; a different setting does that.

4. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

What is this Avia disk I hear everyone talk about? How does it work??

5. Myram

Myram Second Unit

The AVIA disc is a professional DVD that has all kinds of audio and video calibration tools and tests on it. You can find it at www.alldirect.com for $37.00 shipped.....and it is well worth it, after that get to Radio Shack and get the analog SPL meter for $40 and you have everything you need to fully calibrate your system.

6. Harold Leroy

Harold Leroy Stunt Coordinator

Todd, I have my sides 6' away from prime listening area. They are straight to my side. My rears are only 3' away. Just set all of them with spl meter to same level.

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Mike.... There are two calibration discs that some use... the other being Video Essentials. Some say one is better than the other but they actually do about the same thing. Actually, I use one for my video calibrations and checking audio connections but when doing the audio calibrations, it is handy to have the meter those above have referenced.

For surrounds: I keep mine +2 to +4 above norm just because I like rear action.... I have had mine in three different houses and personally I liked the directly to the side mounting as you have... stonger rear action..... Now I have them about 4 ft to the rear and about 8 ft apart but toed in significantly to the sweet spot.

What receiver and mode do you normally use? Have you checked other modes (if available) to see if your rears wake up? Having a Yam myself, I find different modes really affect the rear liveliness.

Keep us posted.