What's new

what disc should i buy this weekend? (1 Viewer)

paul e.

Agent
i'm thinking about buying star trek II, i know there is a new edition coming out, but is it a better transfer or just more extras? fire off some suggestions, mainly sci-fi, war, horror. (prefer great transfers and sound over extras). man this is bad when i can't even decide for myself what to buy. (i'm just starting my collection so there is a lot to buy :) )

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Just wait on Trek II...the new one is far and away better, a 2 disc set.

If you like Sci-Fi, look at something like Titan A.E. GOod movie (animated though) and great DTS sound.

Chris M

Second Unit
I suggest looking at Previously Viewed DVDs at your local rental outlet, I just picked up Behind Enemy Lines and Waking Life for $11 each and The Majestic and Beautiful Mind for $12.95 each... good deals!

If not... definately wait 2 weeks for the new ST:TWoK, the new Directors Cut:SE will be much better than the current version, important scenes added back in, actual special features, etc. Very cool!

Chris.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Definitely do not buy the current TWOK DVD and wait for the new release. For other sci-fi, try...

- Terminator 2 (DD & dts, DD & dts trailers, great sound, tons of extras)
- Contact
- The Phantom Menace
- Independence Day
- The Abyss
- Titan AE
- Aliens
- Men In Black
- The Matrix
- X Men
- The Fifth Element

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Horror huh?
Here's some stuff to get:
Bad Taste: Limited Edition
Suspiria: Limited Edition
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3) [if you want all of the extras and both the director's and theatrical cuts... pick up the regular edition (screaming Ash face) and Bootleg Cut (looks like a paper bag) discs.
The Beyond
Re-Animator: Millenium Edition (I gotta pick this up myself... sold the old one)
Opera: Limited Edition

Must haves for any "real" DVD collection:
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (going OOP soon)
Fight Club (going OOP soon)
Terminator 2: UE
Brazil: Criterion Collection
This is Spinal Tap: Special Edition
UHF
Toy Story 1 & 2: Ultimate Toy Box (3 DISCS)
Stanley Kubrick Collection (REMASTERED)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (SEASON SETS [1 & 2 have been released thus far])
The Godfather Collection
The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus (every episode... ever... $99 at Costco)
Akira: Special Edition
Big Trouble in Little China (recently went OOP)
The Abyss: SE (recently went OOP)
Independence Day: 5-Star Collection (recently went OOP)
Se7en: Platinum Series

:D
hope that helps! :)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Since you also said war and most of the suggestions have been Sci-Fi I'll suggest the 2 disc Patton if you can find it. I still see it occasionally at b&m's and pretty soon you won't be able to find it.

For Sci-Fi you could check out some of the excellent BBC Dr. Who discs.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm an expert in horror, so that'll be the genre of films I recommend here:

The Thing CE
The Hitcher
Black Christmas
Lord of Illusion SE
Rosemary's Baby
The Blair Witch Project Se
In the Mouth of Madness
The Devil's Backbone
Jacob's Ladder
Brain Damage SE
Cube SE
The Dead Zone
The Stand
Videodrome
The Legend of Hell House
Session 9
Stagefright
New York Ripper
Tenebre
Phenomena
Delirium (Anchor Bay)

All of these are classic horror films in my opinion, and I could list tons more, but this is a pretty good list for now.

paul e.

Agent
thanks for all the ideas, i usually end up going in to best buy and spending over an hour looking and looking. one more ?, i kind of want to get starship troopers, is there more than one version out there and if so which version looks and sounds the best? and justin, we're in the same neck of the woods, i'm in granbury.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
There are indeed two editions of STARSHIP TROOPERS... the earlier single-disc (pretty good) and the new 2-disc Special Edition (excellent). Definitely go for the newer one.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
And if you decide to go hunting for Independence Day and The Abyss, look for the 2-disk sets which can still be found occasionally.
Oh, Rob, a REAL DVD collection would have the Criterion edition of Spinal Tap :)

Eric T

Second Unit
....nothing left but a little green globule on the drum seat.

I just borrowed the CC Spinal Tap from a friend, and it's great on extras, but I'm disappointed in the video and audio quality. I was planning to pick this up on eBay, but I think I'll get the new release instead.

Not sci-fi or horror, but I think the best deal of the year on DVD has to be The Royal Tennenbaums. A 2-disc Criterion title for $17.99 at Circuit City. That's a no brainer.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator

I have seen this title around at a very good price as of late. However, it commonly comes up in lists of titles that fail due to delamination. Have more recent pressings corrected this problem? If so, is there any way to tell from the outer packaging if you have an older error-prone version, or one of the newer corrected ones?

(I tried to search for this info, but couldn't find anything... if anyone has a link to another thread where this is discussed, please let me know.)

Thanks!

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Just realized I never recommended anything in my last post...
If you like sci-fi, you really should pick up one I haven't seen anyone else mention... 12 Monkeys. It's a personal fav of mine, but of course, YMMV.
And there's no better time to pick it up... it's recently been marked down. Although, there were rumours of an "Ultimate Edition" coming out soon, but Universal seems to have backed away from these "Ultimate" re-releases lately.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Chad, I believe the "DVD rot" problems were solved a LONG time ago. It was just the first batch that had problems (and this disc was released in 1997)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks