What's new

What director has never dissapointed you? (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
"Never" is the key word here. Even Scorsese has disappointed me (New York, New York anyone?). Yet, his remaining films have not disappointed me at all!

Kubrick and Hitchcock also come close to "never" disappointing.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Luis Bunuel

Alain Resnais

Tsai Ming-Liang

Hou Hsiao-Hsien

Carl-Theodor Dreyer

Alexander Sokurov

Bruno Dumont

Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne

Andrei Tarkovsky

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Almost none, they all have had at least one film that I didn't like.

Maybe...Sam Raimi, M. Night Shyamalan or Quentin Tarantino but Shyamalan and Tarantino don't have many films under their belts to make it a fair judgment yet.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
The two I can think of have both recently had mega blockbuster movies, neither of which were disappointing in the least.

Sam Raimi

Peter Jackson

Although neither has a large quantity of movies, the ones they have done are all very good.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
None have never disappointed me.

Kubrick made The Shining, which I maintain is quite a bad movie. Full Metal Jacket is no masterpiece either.

Hitchcock failed to impress me with Marnie.

Scorsese must have been on something when he made New York, New York.

There are a few directors I could name whose entire career output I have not seen, but have liked the few I have seen. I'm fairly confident, though, that if I made a point of seeing all of their films, some would be disappointing.

But if I were to use Jay's "at least 5" criteria, I could write a very long list.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Many people are picking Hitchcock. I wonder if they have seen all of his sound films. Under Capricorn, The Paradine Case, Stagefright, Jamaica Inn & Topaz are a few of his films that, IMO, don't live up to the majority of his other films. Hitchcock himself has made some disparaging remarks about some of these films.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Stanley Kubrick - every one of his films from Killer's Kiss to Eyes Wide Shut just makes me fall in love with cinema all over again...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think there is probably only one director who has truly never made a disappointment. Sergio Leone.
I'll also add Joel Coen, since I've never seen The Hudsucker Proxy.

Dennis

Second Unit
Here's a few that haven't been mentioned:
Sidney Lumet
Adrian Lyne
Michael Mann
Paul Schrader (Maybe a better writer [Taxi Driver, Rolling Thunder, Raging Bull, Blue Collar, American Gigolo] than director but he rarely disappoints)
Peter Weir

Users who are viewing this thread