What's new

What digital audio compression format in Direct TV? (1 Viewer)

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
I know most programs in Direct TV are not 5.1 (except many movies on Pay Per View).

However, I would like to know if Direct TV uses AC-3 (Dolby Digital) compression similar to DVD for all audio, regardless of the amount of discrete channels.

Regards

Steve Owen

Second Unit
No, I don't believe they do. Even some Dolby Digital programming is not 5.1 even though its still Dolby Digital. I think the rest of it is 2-channel compressed, but I'm not sure about the format. Receivers with digital output send either Dolby Digital or PCM depending on the program.

-Steve

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve.

Anyone has an idea of what's the regular audio compression format?

The Direct TV site is no help at all.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Probably MPEG audio, converted to PCM in your box

PCM takes up as much as a DTS track in the bitstream

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
DSS generally uses MPEG1 for stereo audio, although I don't know the bit-rates used. Probably 192kbps or 256kbps (anyone?).

Adam

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have noticed bit rates in the 350m range on DD 5.1(Gladiator, Titan AE). On my DA5ES you can turn the menu dial to get additional info on the screen(just noticed this other night and not in manual) like bit rate, bandwith, norm dialogue, and a whole bunch of stuff I don't understand. If I get time, I will try to write them all down!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The regular audio is MPEG-1 Layer II (MP3's older brother). The satellite receiver decodes it to PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks