What's new

What difficulty level do you play? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I was wondering what level youy play your games on? I have played easy on a few. It seems that even on easy you get skunked (Medal of Honor to name one). Ive al;ways felt that games should be fun and challenging but not insanely hard.

Mind you im not a gaming wimp, (Ok amybe I am; but this crowd has a lot of practice ahead of me ;) ) Anyway all joking aside what level do you guys play on?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I rented MOH:FL for a weekend, so after about 15 minutes of trying on normal and not even being able to get off the beach, I played the game on easy. Halo, I played on normal when I rented it, then started again on hard when I bought it. A few months back I started it again on the hardest level, and I've gone maybe 30-40% through the game.

I usually try to start at a level that's not the easiest (due to my ego), and not the hardest either (again, due to my ego) :) So if there are 3 difficulty levels, I pick the middle one. If there are 4, I usually pick the 2nd easiest one.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
It depends on how much I plan to get into the game. If it's only a rental (like Enter the Matrix), I'll generally set it on the easiest setting just so I can play through most of the game and experience as much as possible. I generally rent games just for something different and don't really care if I've "challenged" myself or not.

However, if the game is a keeper and I plan to invest a lot of time into it (Knights of the Old Republic comes to mind), I go with normal the first time through. I rarely use the hard mode, unless it's my second time through a game that I have previously finished (Metroid Prime).

All this being said, I will do anything to avoid using a FAQ. To me, no matter what difficulty setting is used, FAQs can ruin the fun of a game, unless I'm just flat out stuck and can't move any further. Same goes for game guides--I never understood the point of relying on these to play a game, what's the fun of that? Not to be an old man here, but younger gamers don't even try to play a game on their own anymore, they just rely on the books. Seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Kevin-M

Agent
I usually play on easy. I play games mostly for the story, however thin it may be. Right now I'm finally getting around to playing Baldur's Gate 2. I'm at "normal" level, since "easy" incurs experience point penalties(and god knows you need all the XP you can get in an RPG).

Like others have said, why keep retrying uber-challenging sections of games when you can simply play it on an easier skill level and still get the same basic game. Further to that point, I don't get people who try to beat the "high score". If you want a challenge in life, get out there and try something real, not topping some arbitrary string of numbers from a game.

Jordan Raup

Stunt Coordinator
I usually try the first couple levels of a game on easy and then if I like it i will switch to normal or hard depending on the level of difficulty of the levels i played on easy.

GamerTag: JPRaup

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Normally I just go straight for the middle ground, or "normal" difficulty level.

I just don't get any satisfaction of beating a game on easy. :frowning:

I've gotten pinched once or twice when playing on hard. Get well into a game, enemies start getting tougher and tougher which just intensifies the "hard" difficulty level, which sometimes forces a restart. Sucks.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I go for the Normal difficulty if it's a long game. If I'm going to have to play through each difficulty anyway for a secret or something, or just to be a completist, I start on Easy.

Alexis Lewis

Auditioning
It depends on the type of game. If it is an RPG, I usually select the most challenging level simply because I play mostly RPGs. I am not very good at racing games or sports games, so I would most likely choose "easy" if it is an option.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I start by playing games on the default difficulty setting, then making changes from there(too easy, move up/too hard, move down).

James T

Screenwriter
I play on Normal. Some games, like Street Fighter 2, only give the game ending if you play on the normal level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks