What's new

What difference to expect? PB2+ vs dual 16-46PC+ (1 Viewer)

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
If we had to compare between a PB2+ and dual 16-46PC+, what difference do we expect to hear or feel?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I would think the PB2+ will have more SPL in 25hz, maybe at 20hz, no way at 16hz and it obviously won't go as low at the 16-46 with even lower tuning. 16hz and lower will sound/feel stronger with the PC+'s no doubt. If you have a lot of sub 20hz material, you'll be feeling more than hearing this advantage, the PC+'s would be the better option.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I understand this has been asked before but here goes:

If I were to go for dual 16-46+, what should I look out for if I were to stack them up one on top of the other?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
You can't. The ports are at the top- unless you build a shelf or something for the upper one. But you'll probably have problems.

Can you not put the other one right next to it? That's the better alternative- or put it in the opposite corner (either left/right sides or variety of front/rear depending on room shape)

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping that I was able to stack them up tall. The upper one being separated by a 4" gap above the lower one.

Has anyone stacked 2 cylinder subs before? Any experiences to share?

Would a 4" gap cause any problems to the sub or bass quality?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You couldn't have picked a more disparate comparison in the entire line-up (but you already know that, Ming :b).

If you want to really troll the 12-16 Hz region at max volume, and be sure you are getting ALL the bass (even if it only lasts for a few seconds on just a handful of DVDs), then get the duals. But you will be paying a considerable premium over the PB2+.

The dual cylinders will have a considerable vent area advantage, almost 200 watts more power, and a much deeper native tune point.

In the 23-30 Hz region, the PB2-Plus in the stock tune probably has more output potential than the dual 16-46PC+.

In the 20 Hz tune, the PB2+ with two flared 4" vents can still move a LOT of air, and can play loud enough in the 16-20 Hz region to satisfy almost anyone's tastes before audible port compression occurs. Nevertheless, the dual 16-46 will still have an output advantage in the 16-20 Hz region over a PB2+ in the 20 Hz tune.

In the 16 Hz tune, the PB2+ can indeed troll very deep, but with only one flared 4" vent, it is underported and output in the 12-16 Hz region will be limited before audible port compression occurs. Running a PB2+ in the 16 Hz tune is really a misapplication of the intended use. The PB2+ was designed at the outset to provide big output above 22-23 Hz in large rooms. This model is not designed to troll at max volume in the 12-16 Hz region. At these frequencies, it will simply be no contest - the dual 16-46PC+ will totally dominate in output.

That's why SVS gives you a choice; they realize that customers have different wants and needs and that not every sub can do all things equally well, even if it has variable tuning.

You really need to think carefully about your specific music and HT listening tastes, volume preferences, and room size. Consult with SVS and buy the subwoofer(s) that most closely match those needs, and plan to operate the sub(s) in the stock/native tune most of the time.

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
I do 95% home theator DVD's. It is my understanding the for the most part going with anything below 20 Hz is pointless as very very few DVD dip down below that. Is this true?

I also have been contiplating a PB2+ -vrs- dual 20-39PC+

How about running a 20-39 and a 16-46 together ?

Also a 20-39 could be tunned down to a 16 hz if you needed to

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

That is true, but Ming already owns a 16-46PC+. He is merely contemplating another. I think he should add another 16-46 PC+, personally.

terence

Supporting Actor

Well my premium was $400 but i found it to be worth every penny in my case. They fill my 4000 cubic ft HT room easy!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Wow Terence thats a good size room your filling there.

__________________________________________________ _____

That is not advisable. If you are running duals, like sized cylinders is recommended.
__________________________________________________ ______

From measuring and listening to my subs in separate tunes I couldn't agree with you more. Actually this brings up a prior conversation here on the Forum that I wish you would have been around for.

:confused:

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
If you are going to stack them anyway, I would think the single box would be better. One of the main reasons for getting multiple subs, besides just more output, is to locate them in different places to eliminate room modes.

terence

Supporting Actor

You also have to deal with phase and cancellation issues when you locate subs in different places in your room. Also you loose (headroom)half of your SPL vs co-located in the same area.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I had dual NHT's before getting the SVS PB2+. I had them in both front corners for about a year before I decided to stack them. I should have done it from the beginning. Better, lower, louder and in the whole room you could not tell where the bass was coming from when they were together. Of course your room my be different and results may vary. Also sorry I had the wrong Gordon on the PB2's above... To many names and not enough brain space I guess.
I guess another thing you could do is just call Ron at SVS and ask him along with giving him your room info. He would be glad to tell you which works best!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Terence. That's a good size room your in there. I remember you going to dual and really noticing a big difference. If your doctor has any room for another patient please let me know.

I have tried placing my subs all over the room in different combinations and tunes. I always revert back to leaky corner one co-located in their 25 hz stock tune. This is my preference and WAF. Some would rather not co-locate and I understand not doing so. I myself like them all in the same corner. I just tame them down. A 16 hz tuned sub will be a little easier to intergrade but will not have the punch that a higher tuned sub will. RELOADED is a very good movie to watch in the 16 tune though. Thats what I like about running multiple. I have the headroom to do as I please.:b

__________________________________________________ ___

What's up steve?
__________________________________________________ ____

For the last few weeks I have had my 25-31CS+s laying on their sides piled up like a stack of logs. I'm from the Mighty N-W you know? I removed the bass-plates and have the drivers facing out into the room loaded in leaky corner one. The ports are 6" from the wall and I have been very happy with how it has been working out. Not quit the gain and a little easier to tame. Nice and crisp. I have recruited my retired father to build me a four slot type wine rack for them, so I can load them like torpedos;). He says it is close to being finished and then I will stain it honey cherry. I am also going to build four grills. Well I should say wrap four grills. Father is building those to. Something different anyway. :emoji_thumbsup: Maybe it would be proper and fitting to view U-571 first?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks