1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    Finally got around to the last disc of The Outer Limits - Season 2 Blu-ray.

Two regular episodes: one I enjoy and one that just sort of goes around.
    The Premonotion (2.16) Dewey Martin, Mary Murphy, Emma Tyson, William Bramley. I am a sucker for "time travel" type stories and the first time I saw this one (on a TnT marathon), my daughter was about 6. It was relatable. Nice to see this one looking so good. Enjoyable to view again.

The Probe (2.17) Peter Mark Richman, Peggy Ann Garner, Ron Hayes, Janos Prohaska (as the Horta ;)). Seems a shame that this was the final episode. I thought the opening was very good as was the first action inside the probe. The longer it went on, it struck me as the forerunner of Land of the Giants with the oversized lab equipment. The acts dealing with communication just didn't connect. I kept falling asleep and it took me two days to finally complete the episode. Great opening that puts our characters into danger and they just get plucked out of it to witness the probes destruction.

Thank goodness there were excellent extras. I am so grateful that Kino made this series available on blu and am very appreciative of the care that went into presenting the pilots as well as the other extras.

Gunsmoke - Season 7
    Milly (7.9) Jena Engstrom, Malcolm Atterbury, Billy E. Hughes, Don Dubbins, Harry Swoger. Two abandoned and abused children are searching for a way to ease their situation. Milly believes the only way is to follow her best friends example and get married. Her prospects are not worthy. Childish pranks ensue causing deadly retaliation.

Indian Ford (7.10) R. G. Armstrong, Pippa Scott, Roy Roberts, Anthony Caruso, Robert Dix. This tale is set in motion as a white woman was seen living with Indians. She is tentively identified as a former resident of Dodge whose father is eager for her return. The Army is sent to expedite matters. Captain Benter has a reputation of distrust of all things Indian. Matt goes along to keep the peace. Romeo/Juliet type story.

Apprentice Doc (7.11) Ben Cooper, Crahan Denton, Robert Sorrells. We are introduced to four bank robbers. One is injured. In order to help him, two ride into Dodge and kidnap Doc by using chloroform. Doc aids what he can and is sent on his way back to Dodge on the stage. One of the wannabe thieves has a conscience and visits with Doc a few days later explaining that he wants to study to become a doctor. Doc accepts his new student. All is well until the gang finds out what is happening. Another very interesting story. I am really enjoying the episodes that feature Doc Adams.

Mission: Impossible - Season 4
    Chico (4.17) Percy Rodrigues, Fernando Lamas, Gregory Sierra. Good guest cast. Stamps, coins, microdots and dogs. Interesting items for an episode. Standard AC trick to help all the principals get in place. Another offscreen death as the episode ends.

Darby67, Montytc, morasp and 2 others like this.
  2. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper

Quote:
    "So Sandoval. So many mysteries are so simply explained... How your operation ran so well and... mine had so many problems with the Narcotics Agency."
    —Ramon Prado

Review:
    Unpretentious fun but still an average pet episode produced as a season 2 (see the hotel interiors), inferior to "The Seal" and which foreshadows the Syndicate routine from season 6—the outcome is in the line of the first season 4 gangster offering: "Mastermind". From this episode, the season 4 level of the writing tends to drop and simplifies itself. For the anecdote, the corridor leading to the vault's golden door reminds a Wild Wild West episode entitled: "The Night of the Bubbling Death". Instead of "The Bunker" flying disk, we have a dog traveling in a conduit. Leonard Nimoy imitates a folkloric accent, spiced with foreign English slang idioms as: "Mate", "Have a dekko at this", "Hooly-dooly" and "But I can bring it around this arvo." As in "The Code", the IMFers listen to the foes killing each other when Barney and Willy travel back on the rooftop and stay in the green van to listen to the drug dealers' lethal argument through the speaker of the communication-suitcase ("Sandoval, I prefer my own explanation... Sanchez... Prado, please. Prado... Bang!"). We can hear a Mannix track ("The End of the Rainbow") when Willy delivers a letter to Jim at the hotel during Act 2 and we can hear a track ("Operation Charm") from the 1968 Mission album when Paris and Sanchez get the envelop at the hotel during Act 4. The music supervision is excellent, by the way.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  3. Message #1943 of 2329 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Very true, Ben. But even so, I've watched enough classic TV to recognize when the music doesn't sound right. It becomes even more stark of a difference between the original, orchestral underscore and Mark Heyes simplistic Casio noodlings, due to two of the episodes on S1, Vol. 1 having their original music intact.

That caveat aside, I don't regret buying the sets one bit...the show is that good.

Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  4. Message #1944 of 2329 May 24, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    I've seen this one, Doug, and enjoyed it. As I may have mentioned before, I like the more "unusual" or "off-formula" Mission: Impossibles the best. The IMF having to use little Chico as part of their mission adds a cute and clever touch to the story. I still think Leonard Nimoy, as much as I absolutely LOVE him as Mr. Spock on Star Trek, is disappointingly wooden as Paris in M:I.

Doug Wallen and Flashgear like this.
  5. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    We are currently watching the PBS series Pioneers of Television. Last night was westerns and Gunsmoke was one of the featured series. Didn't know that Arness got the job because of John Wayne.

Pioneers of Television is IMHO a must watch for fans of vintage TV - it has it's flaws but still great clips and interviews.

6. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    Dukes of Hazzard
    16 Oct. 1981
    Double Dukes
    7.7 (54)

This was a fun episode, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. What a great show, action, stunts, and it's laugh a minute just good clean light hearted fun. An interesting side note with this DVD set, I've been trying to find a backup Blu ray player since Samsung announced they weren't going to make any more. I was trying out the Sony X800 and didn't care for this show at all with that player so I hooked up my old Samsung player and couldn't believe the difference it made in the picture quality and overall enjoyment of the episode.
    Plot from IMDB
    Double Dukes means double fun for Boss Hogg, and double trouble for Bo and Luke after two men resembling the good-natured Duke boys -- cronies that Boss had dress in wigs and the Dukes' clothing -- rob Hazzard Bank. Bo and Luke spend the rest of the episode clearing their names as they try to apprehend the crooks.

Bryan^H and Jeff Flugel like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Long time no see around these parts, Steve - welcome back! Wonder why the Dukes DVDs didn't look so hot on the Sony X800? Hopefully Blu-Rays look a lot better on the player...

8. Message #1948 of 2329 May 24, 2019
    morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    Good to be back. The Sony has slightly better audio and loads quicker but the Samsung I have has received good reviews for it's upsampling which is kind of important since I own a lot more DVD discs than Blu ray. I was a little surprised by how big the difference was though. I have a 1080p Vizio TV and when I play Blu ray discs with the Sony, with no upsampling involved, the picture looks quite good, slightly better than the Samsung. After playing around with the settings on the Sony for a while fixed 1080p video output seemed to provide the best picture.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I love the show. It was my favorite show as a youngster (paired with The Incredible Hulk CBS Friday nights)
    and revisiting it on DVD years ago was a pleasure. So carefree, innocent, and fun!
    I really, really wish WB would release this show on BD.

Jeff Flugel and morasp like this.
  10. Message #1950 of 2329 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    March 2nd - May 24th:

Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's Weekend Job" (Season 5, Episode 6, 1961) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver Takes a Drive" (Season 5, Episode 7, 1961) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's Big Date" (Season 5, Episode 8, 1961) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Ice Skates" (Season 5, Episode 9, 1961) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Weekend Invitation" (Season 5, Episode 10, 1961) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's English Test" (Season 5, Episode 11, 1961) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's Chauffeur" (Season 5, Episode 12, 1961) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's First Date" (Season 5, Episode 13, 1961) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Ward's Golf Clubs" (Season 5, Episode 14, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Farewell to Penny" (Season 5, Episode 15, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver, the Bunny" (Season 5, Episode 16, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Trains" (Season 5, Episode 17, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Long Night" (Season 5, Episode 18, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Jacket" (Season 5, Episode 19, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Nobody Loves Me" (Season 5, Episode 20, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Fear" (Season 5, Episode 21, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Three Boys and a Burro" (Season 5, Episode 22, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Eddie Quits School" (Season 5, Episode 23, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Wally Stays at Lumpy's" (Season 5, Episode 24, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Laundry" (Season 5, Episode 25, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Lumpy's Car Trouble" (Season 5, Episode 26, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver the Babysitter" (Season 5, Episode 27, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Younger Brother" (Season 5, Episode 28, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Typewriter" (Season 5, Episode 29, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Merchant Marine" (Season 5, Episode 30, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Brother Versus Brother" (Season 5, Episode 31, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Yard Birds" (Season 5, Episode 32, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Tennis, Anyone?" (Season 5, Episode 33, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "One of the Boys" (Season 5, Episode 34, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Sweatshirt Monsters" (Season 5, Episode 35, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "A Night in the Woods" (Season 5, Episode 36, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Long Distance Call" (Season 5, Episode 37, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Stocks and Bonds" (Season 5, Episode 38, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Un-Togetherness" (Season 5, Episode 39, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's Dinner Date" (Season 6, Episode 1, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Football Award" (Season 6, Episode 2, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's License" (Season 6, Episode 3, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Late Edition" (Season 6, Episode 4, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Double Date" (Season 6, Episode 5, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Eddie, the Businessman" (Season 6, Episode 6, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Tell It to Ella" (Season 6, Episode 7, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Bachelor at Large" (Season 6, Episode 8, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver Joins a Record Club" (Season 6, Episode 9, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Wally's Car Accident" (Season 6, Episode 10, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver, the Sheep Dog" (Season 6, Episode 11, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver, the Hero" (Season 6, Episode 12, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Autobiography" (Season 6, Episode 13, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Party Spoiler" (Season 6, Episode 14, 1962) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Moustache" (Season 6, Episode 15, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Wally Buys a Car" (Season 6, Episode 16, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Parking Attendants" (Season 6, Episode 17, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "More Blessed to Give" (Season 6, Episode 18, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Good Deed" (Season 6, Episode 19, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Credit Card" (Season 6, Episode 20, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver, the Caddy" (Season 6, Episode 21, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver on TV" (Season 6, Episode 22, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Box Office Attraction" (Season 6, Episode 23, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Lumpy's Scholarship" (Season 6, Episode 24, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "The Silent Treatment" (Season 6, Episode 25, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Uncle Billy's Visit" (Season 6, Episode 26, 1963) DVD
    Leave It to Beaver: "Beaver's Prep School" (Season 6, Episode 27, 1963) DVD
    Columbo: "Short Fuse" (Season 1, Episode 6, 1972) DVD
    Columbo: "Blueprint for Murder" (Season 1, Episode 7, 1972) DVD
    Columbo: "Etude in Black" (Season 2, Episode 1, 1972) DVD
    Columbo: "The Greenhouse Jungle" (Season 2, Episode 2, 1972) DVD
    Columbo: "The Most Crucial Game" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1972) DVD
    Columbo: "Dagger of the Mind" (Season 2, Episode 4, 1972) DVD
    The Outer Limits: "The Guests" (Season 1, Episode 26, 1964) Blu-ray
    The Outer Limits: "Fun and Games" (Season 1, Episode 27, 1964) Blu-ray
    The Outer Limits: "Feasibility Study" (Season 1, Episode 28, 1964) Blu-ray
    The Outer Limits: "Production and Decay of Strange Particles" (Season 1, Episode 29, 1964) Blu-ray
    The Outer Limits: "The Chameleon" (Season 1, Episode 30, 1964) Blu-ray
    Gumby: "Even Stevens" (Season 2, Episode 2, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "The Glob" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "Chicken Feed" (Season 2, Episode 4, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "Hidden Valley" (Season 2, Episode 5, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "The Groo-Bee" (Season 2, Episode 6, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "The Witty Witch" (Season 2, Episode 7, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "Hot Rod Granny" (Season 2, Episode 8, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "Ricochet Pete" (Season 2, Episode 9, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "Northland Follies" (Season 2, Episode 10, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "The Small Planets" (Season 2, Episode 11, 1960) DVD
    Gumby: "Sad King Ott's Daughter" (Season 2, Episode 12, 1960) DVD
    Shazzan: "Valley of the Giants / The Black Sultan" (Episode 2, 1967) MOD DVD-R
    Shazzan: "Demon in the Bottle / The Underground World" (Episode 3, 1967) MOD DVD-R
    Shazzan: "Ring of Samarra / City of Brass" (Episode 4, 1967) MOD DVD-R
    Shazzan: "The Evil Jester of Masira / The Master Wizard of Mizwa" (Episode 5, 1967) MOD DVD-R
    Shazzan: "The Demon in the Bottle Returns / City of the Tombs" (Episode 6, 1967) MOD DVD-R
    Shazzan: "The Young Rajah of Kamura/ The Sky Pirates of Basheena" (Episode 7, 1967) MOD DVD-R
    Shazzan: "The Forest of Fear / Sorceress of the Mist" (Episode 8, 1967) MOD DVD-R
    Shazzan: "Keys of the Zodiac / The Flaming Ruby" (Episode 9, 1967) MOD DVD-R
    Science Fiction Theatre: "The Flicker" (Season 2, Episode 7, 1956) DVD
    Science Fiction Theatre: "The Unguided Missile" (Season 2, Episode 8, 1956) DVD
    Science Fiction Theatre: "End of Tomorrow" (Season 2, Episode 9, 1956) DVD
    In Search of...: "The Secrets of Life" (Season 2, Episode 14, 1978) DVD
    In Search of...: "Immortality" (Season 2, Episode 15, 1978) DVD
    In Search of...: "The Swamp Monster" (Season 2, Episode 16, 1978) DVD
    Get a Life!: "1977-2000" (Season 2, Episode 12, 1992) DVD
    Get a Life!: "Girlfriend 2000" (Season 2, Episode 8, 1992) DVD
    Get a Life!: "SPEWEY and Me" (Season 2, Episode 11, 1992) DVD
    The Twilight Zone: "People Are Alike All Over" (Season 1, Episode 25, 1960) Streaming
    Perry Mason: "The Case of the Married Moonlighter" (Season 2, Episode 7, 1958) DVD
    Perry Mason: "The Case of the Jilted Jockey" (Season 2, Episode 8, 1958) DVD
    Perry Mason: "The Case of the Purple Woman" (Season 2, Episode 9, 1958) DVD
    Perry Mason: "The Case of the Fancy Figures" (Season 2, Episode 10, 1958) DVD
    Perry Mason: "The Case of the Perjured Parrot" (Season 2, Episode 11, 1958) DVD
    Perry Mason: "The Case of the Shattered Dream" (Season 2, Episode 12, 1959) DVD
    The Fugitive: "When the Bough Breaks" (Season 2, Episode 4, 1964) DVD
    The Fugitive: "Nemesis" (Season 2, Episode 5, 1964) DVD
    The Fugitive: "Tiger Left, Tiger Right" (Season 2, Episode 6, 1964) DVD
    The Fugitive: "Tug of War" (Season 2, Episode 7, 1964) DVD
    The Fugitive: "Dark Corner" (Season 2, Episode 8, 1964) DVD
    The Fugitive: "Escape into Black" (Season 2, Episode 9, 1964) DVD
    The Fugitive: "The Cage" (Season 2, Episode 10, 1964) DVD
    The Andy Griffith Show: "Aunt Bee's Brief Encounter" (Season 2, Episode 9, 1961) Streaming
    The Day After Tomorrow: "Into Infinity" (1975, unsold Gerry Anderson series pilot) Streaming
    The Avengers: "Tunnel of Fear" (Season 1, Episode 20, 1961) DVD
    Lost in Space: "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" (Season 3, Episode 23, 1968)
    Rawhide: "Incident of the Dowery Dundee" (Season 6, Episode 17, 1964) DVD
    Rawhide: "Incident at Gila Flats" (Season 6, Episode 18, 1964) DVD
    Rawhide: "Incident of the Pied Piper" (Season 6, Episode 19, 1964) DVD
    Rawhide: "Incident of the Swindler" (Season 6, Episode 20, 1964) DVD
    Hawaii Five-0: "Good Night Baby, Time to Die" (Season 4, Episode 21, 1972) DVD
    Hawaii Five-0: "Didn't We Meet at a Murder?" (Season 4, Episode 22, 1972) DVD
    Hawaii Five-0: "Follow the White Brick Road" (Season 4, Episode 23, 1972) DVD
    Hawaii Five-0: "R & R & R" (Season 4, Episode 24, 1972) DVD
    The Dakotas: "A Man Called Ragan" (Episode 1, 1962) DVD
    The Dakotas: "Return to Dryrock" (Episode 2, 1963) DVD
    The Dakotas: "Red Sky Over Bismarck" (Episode 3, 1963) DVD
    Barney Miller: "Tunnel" (Season 4, Episode 10, 1977) DVD
    Barney Miller: "Atomic Bomb" (Season 4, Episode 11, 1977) DVD
    Barney Miller: "Bank" (Season 4, Episode 12, 1978) DVD
    WKRP in Cincinnati: "The Baby" (Season 3, Episode 4, 1980) DVD
    WKRP in Cincinnati: "Hotel Oceanview" (Season 3, Episode 5, 1980) DVD
    WKRP in Cincinnati: "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" (Season 3, Episode 6, 1980) DVD
    Route 66: "A Month of Sundays" (Season 2, Episode 1, 1961) DVD
    Route 66: "Blue Murder" (Season 2, Episode 2, 1961) DVD
    Route 66: "Good Night, Sweet Blues" (Season 2, Episode 3, 1961) DVD
    Batman: "Black Widow Strikes Again" (Season 2, Episode 55, 1967) DVD
    Batman: "Caught in the Spider's Den" (Season 2, Episode 56, 1967) DVD
    Batman: "Pop Goes the Joker" (Season 2, Episode 57, 1967) DVD
    Batman: "Flop Goes the Joker" (Season 2, Episode 58, 1967) DVD
    Batman: "Ice Spy" (Season 2, Episode 59, 1967) DVD
    Batman: "The Duo Defy" (Season 2, Episode 60, 1967) DVD
    77 Sunset Strip: "Lovely Lady, Pity Me" (Season 1, Episode 2, 1958) DVR
    77 Sunset Strip: "A Nice Social Evening" (Season 1, Episode 3, 1958) DVR
    Fantastic Voyage: "Gathering of the Team" (Episode 1, 1968) DVD

11. Montytc

Montytc Stunt Coordinator

Tim Montavon
    A lot of great shows on your list, a lot that I enjoy myself.

12. Montytc

Tim Montavon
    The Fugitive: Season 1
    Episode 21 - The Ivy Maze
    Episode 22 - Goodbye My Love

Two pretty strong episodes from the last box set.
    The first episode really brought things to a boil, with the one armed man, Lt. Gerard and Kimble all being within a few seconds of crashing into each other on a college campus. William Windon plays a college professor who is an old classmate of Kimble's. He discovers the one arm man working on his campus and tries to help trap him into a confession. We get tantalizingly close, but of course it blows up at the last instant and our hero barely avoids arrest by Gerard. Don Mitchell who would be seen a few years later on Ironside has a small role and Geraldine Brooks helps screw everything up playing Windom's wife.

The second episode is very good with Jack Lord playing a bad guy who tries to use Kimble in a plot to murder his wife. Marlyn Mason plays Lord's love interest who seduces Kimble into getting involved. Kimble escapes it all by the skin of his teeth again.

13. Montytc

Tim Montavon
    I would agree she is pretty forgettable here.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  14. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper
    Columbo is one of the finest seventies shows ever.
    "The Most Crucial Game" is the best of the season 2 episodes because of actor Robert Culp!

The best of the bunch remains “The Guests".

Belong to my top 20 episodes list for season 1 because of the story, the twist ending and actor Roddy McDowall!

The best Film Noir series of the sixties!

Top CBS western series and the best of the list are "Incident at Gila Flats" and "Incident of the Swindler".

Amongst the best CBS show ever along with Mission: Impossible and The Wild Wild West!
    From season 1 to season 6, Hawaii Five-0 offered the cream of the crop!

The pilot ("A Man Called Ragan") for The Dakotas is a marvelous piece of Noir western!

15. Message #1955 of 2329 May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Through 2 seasons' worth on The A-Team; moving on to third go (red discs, 1984-85)

ateamthirdseasonfirstdisc.

Something you might find interesting about the copyright cards in the first two seasons' worth (really, 1.5, as The A-Team was a midseason replacement): the pilot and first two episodes had different fonts for the closing credits (including for the Cannell copyright cards).

The pilot (and second actual episode) had a 1982 Cannell copyright card in a font that you might not recognize; not to leave out that the disclaimers above (persons/events fictitious, similarity unintentional) had a misspelled word-- "Unted."

Specifically, the second disclaimer read, in part, "This motion picture is protected under laws of the Unted States and other countries."

Somehow, I think that whoever was making the credits on this pilot (and on the second actual episode) got in a hurry to get done, and didn't include the "I" that's supposed to be in "United." (Also, one version of this has very little extension on the lettering, and the other is a little more extended.)

Not just that, but the pilot and first two episodes had the IATSE union bug and Television Code logo flanking the Cannell copyright.

The first actual episode, "Children of Jamestown," however, had "United" spelled correctly in the disclaimers.

Also, the pilot and second actual episode had that 1982 Cannell copyright on two lines (the same way it would be with the military credit font in the fourth and fifth seasons' worth [1985-86 and the 1986 half-go]); the first and third actual episodes had a 1983 Cannell copyright on three lines.

ateam1982pilotcopyright.

ateam1983firstepisodecopyright.

ateam1982secondepisodecopyright.

It wasn't until the third episode that the copyright cards adopted the credit font that The A-Team would have for the rest of its run on NBC (and dropped the Television Code logo, in favor of including the IATSE bug only [this was also because the Television Code itself ended in 1983]); this form of the copyright card would last for the remainder of the first season, and for the next two seasons, before changing in 1985 for the final two seasons.

ateam1983thirdepisodecopyright.

The copyright date would change to 1984 as of the second-season episode "Pure-Dee Poison" (OAD Tuesday, Jan. 31, 1984 on NBC).

ateam1984secondseasoncopyright.

And one other thing: the Cannell logo change that occurred in late 1983 didn't last very long-- another new setup begins as of the penultimate second-season episode "Semi-Deadly Persuasion" (OAD Tuesday, May 8, 1984 on NBC).

ateamcannellseason2secondlogochange.

Here's video of the same (the Universal logo with it):

16. Message #1956 of 2329 May 26, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    May to December
    1.5 "They Didn't Believe Me"
    1.6 "There's a Small Hotel"
    Finished up the first series of this extremely charming and enjoyable Brit sitcom. In "They Didn't Believe Me," Alec turns 54 and decides it's time to introduce new 26-year-old girlfriend, Zoe, to his snooty daughter, Simone. Things go about as badly as might be expected. The first season comes to an amusing close in "There's a Small Hotel." After an extended courtship, Alec and Zoe are ready to consummate their relationship...but the lingering memories of Alec's deceased wife at the flat he shared with her are proving a distraction. So the pair decide to go for a weekend away. But as usual, life has other plans...

Sitcoms live and die on the strength of their supporting characters and cast, and luckily this show has a very likable and colorful roster. Rebecca Lacey as the kind but extremely dim-witted Hilary is particularly good value.

[​IMG]

Dragnet 1967 - 1.2 "The Big Explosion"
    A little higher stakes in this episode, as Friday and Gannon work overtime to find out where a racist, neo-Nazi creep (Don Dubbins) has planted stolen dynamite. A pre-Adam-12 Kent McCord pops up as, fittingly enough, a young patrol officer. Also with Val Avery, Ralph Manza and Olan Soule.

The Professionals - 4.12 "Mixed Doubles"
    Top-notch episode follows parallel tracks, as Bodie and Doyle's rigorous training and preparations to protect a visiting Middle Eastern president from assassination is juxtaposed with the training and preparation of the two men handpicked as the assassins. One of the best episodes I've seen of this smart, action-packed spy show. Those who are fans of Martin Shaw's more recent work as Inspector George Gently or Adam Dalgliesh should get a kick out of seeing him at a younger, edgier stage of his career.

The Green Hornet

1.5 "The Frog is a Deadly Weapon"
    1.6 "Eat, Drink and Be Dead"
    I continue to be impressed with Van Williams' presence in this lively comic book series...though, as always, I wish the producers had given the great Bruce Lee more to do. "The Frog is a Deadly Weapon" is the pacier of the two episodes, and gives exotic beauty Wende Wagner a much larger role than usual. (A side note: the show always seems to feature Williams' Britt Reid dating various dim-bulb socialites, when the obvious love match is right there under his nose, working as his loyal secretary. C'mon, dude, get a clue!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though the plots and criminals the Hornet deals with can be a bit pedestrian, the overall look and style of the show oozes mid-60s cool, and there is enough snappy action, gadgets and music to make this a consistently fun watch. It's unfortunate that we'll likely not ever see this series make it out on DVD. Thankfully, once again YouTube comes to the rescue, as all 26 episodes are available and seemingly uncut.

The Rat Patrol - 1.7 "The Blind Man's Bluff Raid"
    Good plot in this one. Sgt. Troy (Christopher George) gets separated from his men and winds up temporarily blinded from overexposure to the searing desert sun. He wakes up in what he thinks is an American field hospital - but it's in actuality all part of a scheme by that suave, sneaky German, Capt. Dietrich (Eric Braedon), to fool Troy into revealing the location where he is supposed to rendezvous with his men. Salome Jens plays the American-raised German intelligence officer posing as his nurse. One thing I always thought was both neat and a little bit funny is how all four members of the Rat Patrol had their own very distinct headgear...I suppose the better to distinguish between them while they're charging around on their jeeps, harassing the enemy.

The Liver Birds - 3.2 "Birds on the Dole"
    Even though this series is set in Liverpool, and thus you'd be forgiven for pronouncing the "Liver" of the title in the same way, I have it on good authority that "Liver" actually rhymes with "driver." This is quite a famous, long-running BBC sitcom, about two young dolly birds sharing a flat in Liverpool in the '70s. There was an abbreviated first series in 1969, with Polly James and Pauline Collins as the leads, but that series no longer exists in the archives. When the show returned for a second series in 1971, Collins had left to join Upstairs, Downstairs and Nerys Hughes took over as posh hottie Sandra, who moves in with rough, working-class Beryl (James). James left after series 4, and Hughes soldiered on with another actress as her roomie for a further 5 series, though the James / Hughes run is generally considered to be the show at its peak.

This episode finds the girls out of work and worried about not being able to afford their new flat. So it's off to the dole line, much to the chagrin of Sandra, who is highly embarrassed to be seen at the Labour Exchange. Also in the queue are several members of Beryl's brash family, and before long a fight has broken out and the girls end up in court. Things get even crazier from there...Polly James is a bit too pinch-faced in a Sondra Locke sort of way for my tastes, but there's no denying her comic timing, and she and Nerys Hughes have good chemistry together. Mollie Sudgen (famous as Mrs. Slocombe on Are You Being Served?) appears as Sandra's doting mum. Also with ubiquitous character actors John Ringham, Cyril Shaps and Artro Morris.

[​IMG]

Bob Gu, Flashgear, Rustifer and 2 others like this.
  17. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Jeff, it there's a prize offered in this thread for digging up the funkiest TV series known to the watching public--I'm sure you'd take top honors.
    Here in the U.S when we have a sitcom along the same lines as Liver Birds, the best we can do is just name it Laverne & Shirley.

18. Message #1958 of 2329 May 26, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    The more you talk about May to December the more I *know* I've seen this at some time. I really think I have a copy of it as it's not something I'd just stumble upon to stream simply because I rarely stream anything. Maybe it ran on PBS at some point and that's where I saw it... It'll come to me some day.

The Liver Birds is another on my Amazon.uk "wish list." I've always pronounced it like liver - as in beef liver, chicken liver, etc. so getting the correct pronunciation is interesting. Do they ever say it correctly in the series? Why does it have a long I? Is it slang? Hmmm... I may have to do some research. :D

**EDIT**
    And I did... Turns out the name is an homage to a building in Liverpool called "The Royal Liver Building" which got it's name from the "Liver Bird," the mythical bird which adorns the Liverpool city seal. It has a very odd history but appears to have been chosen as much as anything because of the play on the name. The series took it to also use the British slang for a girl (bird). I knew the "bird" slang bit but always wondered what a "Liver" was/meant.

Here's the wikipedia article about the bird, which also references the building and show.

The things you learn watching classic TV...

19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Here are some of the aspects of the titles for the third go of The A-Team (1984-85 on NBC):

First, the third-and-fourth-season version of the Peppard-as-Hannibal billing:
    ateamgeorgepeppardbilling2.

Then, the Lupo co-executive producer credit for the third season (absent for the fourth season):
    ateamlupocoepseason3.

Next, the Lupo/Cannell creator credit (which would be absent for 1985-86):
    ateamlupocannellcreatorsseason3.

Then, the Post/Carpenter music credit (also to change for 1985-86):
    ateampostcarpentermusicseason3.

Then, the Swerling, Jr. supervising producer credit (another that would change in the fourth season):
    ateamswerlingspseason3.

Finally, John Ashley's producer credit (would go to co-EP in 1985-86):
    ateamashleyproducerseason3.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I finished Dad's Army and found all the episodes to be quite good and very consistent in tone and characterization from the first to the last episode.

I followed that with a short series starring John Inman called Odd Man Out. From IMDB: "Neville Sutcliffe (John Inman) leaves the safety of his Blackpool fish and chip shop to take over his deceased father's seaside rock factory in Littlehampton with his step-sister Dorothy." It's enjoyable enough but nothing special having rather standard, somewhat cliche', comedy plots that have little to do with the rock factory. The main purpose of the series seems to be a showcase for Inman doing some slapstick bits. I had to look up what a "rock factory" is as that's a very British thing, although we do have some candies of that type in the US.

Then came All at No. 20, a series I picked up on the strength of it featuring Martin Clunes. It's about a recent widow who's attempting to keep her house by letting rooms. Clunes is a medical student who rents a room in the 2nd episode. It has some standard comedy tropes and plots but was still a rather fun show.

Next was Slinger's Day, a 2 series sitcom that somewhat continues from Leonard Lassiter's Tripper's Day which ended with one series a couple of years earlier after Lassiter passed away. It's about the manager of a London supermarket with a largely incompetent staff going about their day-to-day operations. Yet another in the enjoyable but nothing special camp.

I then returned to those lively lads in Last of the Summer Wine for the series 16 & 17 which both aired in 1995 - one in the first of the year and the other in the last of the year, a very odd occurrence for British series. This one's a long time favorite that I've been slowly purchasing as Warner/BBC can't seem to release more than one or two series a year. I'm about to just pick up the complete series from Amazon.uk as it's only a few $$ more than just 1 of the last few series I need for completion. I'd get the whole series in Megapak cases for ~$45 shipped. Series 17 was WS but it looks like they did a post production modification and simply cropped a 4x3 image to 16x9. Heads are frequently chopped off and the video looks like it was shot on tape rather than film like all those previous series. I'm hoping they've not done the same with subsequent series and, if they're also WS, hope they were shot WS and not post processed 4x3 frames.

Right now I'm watching The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs starring David Jason (who I mainly know from Only Fools and Horses). It very much reminds me of a live action version of Danger Mouse, which it preceded by several years, although it's quite a bit more campy in nature. Mr. Briggs is more of an Agent 86 type with a bit of Clouseau thrown in for good measure. Jason wasn't particularly fond of this one as he feels he's a "bit raw." He's right but it's fun nonetheless.

Jeff Flugel likes this.