1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan^H, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Message #1621 of 3948 Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I don't believe Preston was transmitted anywhere in color, at all, when it ran on CBS, in Prime Time 1955-58. Or the color, LONE RANGER episodes, either, on ABC., 1956-57. Good to know the color versions of Preston were shown later in syndication. Season 3 of the official DVD release had to resort to B&W versions for two of the episodes. I wonder if they found those missing color versions for this run on FETV, they have had like twelve years to look.
    TrioofNaturalists.
    The man in the middle is Jack Wrather,, who bought The Lone Ranger, Lassie, and Sgt. Preston from George Trendle. Trendle held onto The Green Hornet.

sgtpreston_head. image12.

I don't think this one's a real Mountie:
    839c1011824201.56252fb54ef96.

giphy.

2. Message #1622 of 3948 Mar 5, 2019
    Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    Boy do I miss Mr. Wizard. A REAL science show. They ran a few of the original episodes a few years back and I was amazed at how many experiments would today be considered unsafe.

ADDED: I meant to reply to Bob's post with the Mr. Wizard clip. Sorry. But I like yours too Jeff.:P

Just my day for gettin in trouble - It's Russ's fault.

Flashgear, Rustifer and Bob Gu like this.
  3. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Mysto, I am sure you and Russ remember the Mr. Wizard inspired sketches, on PAT PAULSEN"S HALF A COMEDY HOUR. Paulsen played 'Mr. Science' and when the neighbor 'kids' came over, he was always trying to get rid of the guy for some reason.

4214549553_2ee77dcf96.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Mysto like this.
  4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Full disclosure: Mine is 30-50% memory and the rest from looking at TV schedules for the show/year(s) in question. I know what I watched but it frequently takes looking at those schedules to remember why.

Those schedules also take me back to the anguish I'd feel over selecting one show over another or seeing a new show I wanted to see or a favorite air/move to Sunday/Wednesday nights when my family'd be at church. There were dozens of shows where I saw only the first or last 15 minutes due to that scheduling. Many were never syndicated and I was only able to finally see them in their entirety when they came out on DVD.

I was the kid who pretty much had the TV Guide memorized and couldn't wait for the Fall Preview issues (Prime Time and Saturday Morning) to arrive! I'd pour over them plotting what I wanted to see of the new shows and how that would impact my watching of series already airing I liked. It never failed that there'd be two series I "desperately" wanted to see airing opposite each other. That *always* happened on Saturday mornings. There'd be a new cartoon I wanted to see and it'd come on at a time when the local CBS station aired "Mid-South Talent Review" - a "talent" show program leading up to the Mid-South Fair talent show. If you were going to be in the show at the fair you'd also appear on this program. Another ran live wrestling from 10-11:30am. Between the two of them you could pretty much forget watching any NBC or CBS cartoon during those hours. At some point wrestling moved from the NBC affiliate to the ABC affiliate but kept the same air time. Major bummer (I very much disliked both "alternate" programs) and it never failed that the cartoon(s) I really wanted to watch were on those networks when the local programs aired. At least once the Fair ended so did that program but you still missed out on a couple of months of cartoons.

BUT my mom was a hairdresser and one a month grandma would come to the house to get her hair done. Grandma *loved* wrestling which meant I had to give up the TV for her to watch. She'd get to the house a half hour before it started, watch wrestling, eat lunch, then get her hair done. Even though I hated the program I watched with her and have wonderful memories of her wiry frame bouncing on the seat, fists pumping the air, yelling at the TV "Look out!! He's gonna get ya!! He's GOT A CHAIR!!!" She loved Jerry Lawler, hated Tojo Yamamoto, and would cheer/boo right along with the studio audience. At least after lunch I got to watch Tarzan in peace. :)

5. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    But my favorite take is Prof. Proton on Big Bang Theory. Combines two favorites Mr. Wizard and Bob Newhart.

I recognize that BBT is not vintage but the reference to Mr. Wizard is. Hope it's all OK.

6. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I must admit, Bob, that I was never much of a Pat Paulsen or Mr. Science fan. Mr. Science must have aired opposite something I liked better, or wasn't watching the tube at that hour.

Jeff Flugel and Bob Gu like this.
  7. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    TV at the beginning was really a trip with all our "great" programming. I can remember watching a pair of guinea pigs while they played rag mop and scrolled temperatures for just about every city in the world. Riviting TV at its best. My grandmother also liked wrestling but only gorgeous George - also Kate Smith and Liberace (the last two were not wrestlers:)). We also had to watch the jalopy races at a local track every week because my uncle used to drive a car in them. A lot less stress on which show to watch when you only had one or two choices. Of course these were days when TV and radio were still interchangeable.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  8. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin

How about "The Singing Mountie?"

[​IMG]

(Season 2: Episode 1 of F TROOP.)

Flashgear, Bob Gu and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Message #1629 of 3948 Mar 5, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I could've stood another season of two of F-Troop. :D
    ______^__ Note the use of the proper contraction, kiddies. It's *not* "could of" (what the heck is that?) but is short for "could have." (My HS English teacher would've been proud... Oops! There's another one! :lol:)

No... I don't recall seeing anyone in this thread doing that - I just couldn't resist!

Flashgear, ChrisALM, Bob Gu and 2 others like this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Speaking of wishing for more seasons... I recently "discovered" that Gilligan's Island was supposed to have received a 4th season.

From Wikipedia:
    Man... that's rough! I'd always known that Paley threw his weight around to keep programs he and/or his wife liked on the air but the more I read the more I find it was a fairly common occurrence that negatively affected several series I liked.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Stephanie was good in the Seventies.

TELEFILMS
    Sweet, Sweet Rachel
    Ellery Queen: Don't Look Behind You
    Manhunter

SERIES GUEST
    The Streets of San Francisco, especially in “Tower Beyond Tragedy".
    The Six Million Dollar Man
    Banacek
    McMillan & Wife
    The Rockford File
    and many more …

12. Susan Nunes_329977

Susan Nunes_329977 Stunt Coordinator

Susan Nunes
    You are correct about the Rawhide episode. I have several I have bought recently, so I have been watching them out of order.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. Message #1633 of 3948 Mar 5, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Something I forgot to mention...in the "Adjust or Bust" episode of My Three Sons I mentioned on the previous page, there was a fun cameo by Richard Deacon as a fellow bus passenger who drones on and on until Steve Douglas (Fred MacMurray) dozes off and misses his stop. Of course Deacon was a very busy character actor at the time, but I can't recall ever seeing him under as much make-up as he sports here:

vlcsnap-2019-03-06-12h06m21s160.
    vlcsnap-2019-03-06-12h07m52s55.

Bob Gu, Rustifer, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  14. Message #1634 of 3948 Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Ahhh! Proof positive that the best posts are the personalized ones. I really enjoyed reading this, Bob. I'm sure many of us can identify with the trials and tribulations of single TV households and fighting for time and/or selection of one's favorite program.
    I remember Superman would air right around suppertime in our house. Like clockwork, just as the opening credits were yelling "Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird..." my mom would call us for dinner and we'd have to sorrowfully shut down the program . Even today, when I hear the beginning of Superman, I think it's time to eat.

upload_2019-3-6_9-54-14.
    "Hands WASHED! Dinner's READY!"
    Awwww shucks, mom....

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and BobO'Link like this.
  15. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    When I was a lad growing up in the early 70's Star Trek re-runs always come on at 6pm, just around dinner time at our house. Either my parents loved me more(!), or were more permissive in the wild 70's, but my younger brother and I eventually talked our parents into letting us eat downstairs in the den when Trek was on. We thought we were so cool watching STOS and dining on TV trays every Monday through Friday. As a result, I can still quote large swaths of dialogue from many episodes. On my death bed I will forget my own kids' names, but will still be able to recite "Amok Time" in its entirety....

16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    :laugh:

For me, The Adventures of Superman came on at 6AM(!?!?!) on Saturday. It was the first thing on - well after the sign on and "Daily Devotion" program (a short 7 minutes for both). I'd get up at ~6:30, get a bowl of cereal, and sit in front of the TV with the sound down (so it wouldn't bother mom) watching the test pattern waiting... When she got up Mom would usually say "I just don't understand why I have to drag you out of bed for school but you're up with the chickens on Saturday!" :rolling-smiley: At one point they'd run another episode later in the day, usually before the weekly Tarzan/Shirley Temple double feature.

I grew up in the Central time zone so we typically missed the 6:00 (7 Eastern) Prime Time program as dinner was at 6. It was an incredibly rare thing to be allowed to eat in front of the TV. Even when mom and dad built a house with an early version of the "great room" (kitchen open to the den with a bar long enough for all of us to eat there - in the den - where the TV was although our back was to it) we had to turn the TV off for meals.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Rustifer like this.
  17. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Speaking of family dinners and classic TV, I am reminded of my earlier years in the late 1970’s. It was summer and my parents loved to eat outside on warmer weekends. Since my dad worked his second job on Saturdays, we didn’t eat until the early evening, but since the sun didn’t go down until 8:30, this was no big deal.

Except to me, because Star Trek and Space:1999 were on back to back on Saturdays starting at 6 pm.

The solution? Put the old 12 inch black and white Zenith outside with the old rabbit ears and tune in WPIX. While Dad was serving up burgers from the grill, and mom was bringing out the corn and mashed potatoes, my sister and I watched TV after coming out of the small above ground pool.

I only remember one particular day because I really liked the episode of 1999. Year two’s Seed of Destruction, the obligatory “evil duplicate” episode. I remember us all sitting down at the table, the tv at the far end, and I’m glued as the finale unspooled. Finally, came the part I remembered for years before getting the series on home video:

Mirror Koenig: “Carter! I gave you an order!!!”
    Real Koenig: “That order is countermanded!”
    [Dramatic fade out]

My dad loved that moment, for whatever reason, and he said that line a few times over the next week. When I finally got the series off laserdisc, that scene jumped out at me, bringing back so many wonderful memories of a great summer.

I was lucky that my parents loved the same S-F shows I did, particularly Trek and 1999. Otherwise, dinner time would have been a lot more bleak to this 10 year old.

18. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I'm taking on the entire series of "I Love Lucy"
    Averaging about one-a-night. No rushing it. Chronological, of course.
    Will report back in about a half a year.;)

19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That's my oldest grandson's absolute favorite series of all time - any decade (he's 15).

You don't have to wait until you finish to "report." We'll take incremental... :)

20. Message #1640 of 3948 Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Great memories, guys...thanks for sharing!

It's funny, all this talk of eating together with your family reminds me of a question asked by the teacher in our (mandatory) high school home economics class (do they even have these type of classes nowadays?) The teacher asked us to raise our hand if we ate dinner together with our family every night. Only myself and one other student (out of about 30 kids) raised our hands. This was in 1983 or '84. I remember being rather shocked that so few other kids sat down at the table together with their families. I wonder what the ratio is these days...I imagine if families are eating together, everyone's eyes are probably glued to their smartphones.

That's not to say that I never ate dinner in front of the television...but it wasn't a common occurrence. My main memories of eating in front of the TV revolve around lunchtime. Every summer, school holiday or sick day would find me in front of the tube with my lunch (probably grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup), usually watching Perry Mason, which aired at noon on KSTW Channel 11, before the 1 o'clock movie - which I would also watch, if it was something I was interested in, like a western, thriller or, best of all, a sci-fi or horror flick.

Like Howie, I made it a practice of combing through the TV Guide and looking for movies I wanted to see. I knew the various prime time schedules like the back of my hand. (Alas, I don't remember the details about those schedules very well now, some 35-plus years later.) My parents weren't huge TV watchers, so I usually had control of the set most evenings...at least from my teenage years on; I'm sure when I was under 10 my mom was controlling the set more. I especially remember those rare times when there were snow days, or I was sick (but not too sick, so I could still enjoy myself) and got to stay home, lounge on the sofa and watch TV all day long.